all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Persistent Remote Emacs/GNU screen conflict
@ 2005-04-14 20:56 Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-04-14 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to be able to keep an Emacs process persistent across ssh
connections and such. In the past I've used GNU screen, which works
great, but a keybinding commonly used in Emacs, C-a, conflicts with
one of screen's bindings.

Has anyone discovered either a way of configuring screen or an
alternative to screen which solves this problem?

--
Denis Bueno
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xA1B51B4B&op=index

* Re: Persistent Remote Emacs/GNU screen conflict
@ 2005-04-14 22:42 ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-04-14 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:56:10PM -0400, Denis Bueno wrote:
> I'd like to be able to keep an Emacs process persistent across ssh
> connections and such. In the past I've used GNU screen, which works
> great, but a keybinding commonly used in Emacs, C-a, conflicts with
> one of screen's bindings.
>
> Has anyone discovered either a way of configuring screen or an
> alternative to screen which solves this problem?

I use this in my .screenrc

# change screens command character C-a to C-]
escape ^]]

Not sure what C-] used to do in emacs but I never used it whatever it
was.

--
Angelina Carlton

* Re: Persistent Remote Emacs/GNU screen conflict
       [not found] <mailman.1556.1113512410.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-14 23:38 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-04-14 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to keep an Emacs process persistent across ssh
> connections and such. In the past I've used GNU screen, which works
> great, but a keybinding commonly used in Emacs, C-a, conflicts with
> one of screen's bindings.
>
> Has anyone discovered either a way of configuring screen or an
> alternative to screen which solves this problem?

What's the problem?

man screen

       -e xy
            specifies the command character to be x  and  the  character
            generating  a  literal  command  character  to y (when typed
            after the command character).  The default is "C-a" and `a',
            which  can  be specified as "-e^Aa".  When creating a screen
            session, this option sets the default command character.  In
            a multiuser session all users added will start off with this
            command character. But when attaching to an already  running
            session,  this  option changes only the command character of
            the attaching user.  This option is equivalent to either the
            commands "defescape" or "escape" respectively.

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.

* Re: Persistent Remote Emacs/GNU screen conflict
@ 2005-04-15  2:18   ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-04-15  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/14/05, Angelina Carlton <brat@magma.ca> wrote:
> > Has anyone discovered either a way of configuring screen or an
> > alternative to screen which solves this problem?
> >

> I use this in my .screenrc
>
> # change screens command character C-a to C-]
> escape ^]]
>
> Not sure what C-] used to do in emacs but I never used it whatever it
> was.

Thanks. This worked like a charm.