all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-28 12:39 Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-01-28 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a huge codebase and I I visit various files. There are certain points
which I would like "the feature I"m looking for" to remember when I press a key.
So that I can cycle through them back and forth. This is quite basic so I am hoping
this will already be there.  Someone just tell me that this feature is there.

Regards,
Maindoor.

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-28 12:50 ` Mario Domenech Goulart
From: Mario Domenech Goulart @ 2010-01-28 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maindoor; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 04:39:53 -0800 (PST) Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a huge codebase and I I visit various files. There are certain
> points which I would like "the feature I"m looking for" to remember
> when I press a key.  So that I can cycle through them back and
> forth. This is quite basic so I am hoping this will already be there.
> Someone just tell me that this feature is there.

Maybe you are looking for Emacs registers:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/RegPos.html#RegPos

Best wishes.
Mario

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-28 13:22 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-28 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have a huge codebase and I I visit various files. There are certain points
> which I would like "the feature I"m looking for" to remember when I press a key.
> So that I can cycle through them back and forth. This is quite basic so I am hoping
> this will already be there.  Someone just tell me that this feature is there.
>
> Regards,
> Maindoor.

You might like bm, I have :

,----
| (autoload 'bm-toggle   "bm" "Toggle bookmark in current buffer." t)
| (autoload 'bm-next     "bm" "Goto bookmark."                     t)
| (autoload 'bm-previous "bm" "Goto previous bookmark."            t)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f8>")   'bm-next)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<M-f8>") 'bm-previous)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<C-f8>") 'bm-toggle)
| (setq-default bm-buffer-persistence t)
`----

http://www.nongnu.org/bm/

The cycle feature is great.

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-28 14:36   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-01-28 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

>> I have a huge codebase and I I visit various files. There are certain points
>> which I would like "the feature I"m looking for" to remember when I press a key.
>> So that I can cycle through them back and forth. This is quite basic so I am hoping
>> this will already be there.  Someone just tell me that this feature is there.
>
> You might like bm, I have :
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/bm/

You can also put a mark at the various interesting positions in a file
(C-SPC, or C-SPC C-SPC to set the mark but deactivate the region
highlighting), and then use C-u C-SPC to cycle through all marks in that
buffer.

If set-mark-command-repeat-pop is non-nil, after an intial C-u C-SPC,
any following C-SPC will cycle.  That's very convenient.

,----[ C-h k C-SPC ]
| C-SPC runs the command set-mark-command, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `simple.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-@, C-SPC.
|
| (set-mark-command ARG)
|
| Set the mark where point is, or jump to the mark.
| Setting the mark also alters the region, which is the text
| between point and mark; this is the closest equivalent in
| Emacs to what some editors call the "selection".
|
| With no prefix argument, set the mark at point, and push the
| old mark position on local mark ring.  Also push the old mark on
| global mark ring, if the previous mark was set in another buffer.
|
| When Transient Mark Mode is off, immediately repeating this
| command activates `transient-mark-mode' temporarily.
|
| With prefix argument (e.g., C-u C-@), jump to the mark, and set the mark from
| position popped off the local mark ring (this does not affect the global
| mark ring).  Use C-x C-@ to jump to a mark popped off the global
| mark ring (see `pop-global-mark').
|
| If `set-mark-command-repeat-pop' is non-nil, repeating
| the C-@ command with no prefix argument pops the next position
| off the local (or global) mark ring and jumps there.
|
| With C-u C-u as prefix
| argument, unconditionally set mark where point is, even if
| `set-mark-command-repeat-pop' is non-nil.
|
| Novice Emacs Lisp programmers often try to use the mark for the wrong
| purposes.  See the documentation of `set-mark' for more information.
`----

Of course, that won't switch to other files.  But emacs has bookmarks,
too.  See

,----[ (info "(emacs)Bookmarks") ]
| "Bookmarks" are somewhat like registers in that they record positions
| you can jump to.  Unlike registers, they have long names, and they
| persist automatically from one Emacs session to the next.  The
| prototypical use of bookmarks is to record "where you were reading" in
| various files.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-28 17:36     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-28 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Of course, that won't switch to other files.  But emacs has bookmarks,
> too.  See
>
> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Bookmarks") ]
> | "Bookmarks" are somewhat like registers in that they record positions
> | you can jump to.  Unlike registers, they have long names, and they
> | persist automatically from one Emacs session to the next.  The
> | prototypical use of bookmarks is to record "where you were reading" in
> | various files.
> `----

If using bookmarks do consider the excellent bookmark+ extensions. It
makes bookmarks work with most fancy files such as info pages, web pages in
w3m and so forth, in addition you can tag and group bookmarks -
recommended.

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-29  7:56       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-01-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

>> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Bookmarks") ]
>> | "Bookmarks" are somewhat like registers in that they record positions
>> | you can jump to.  Unlike registers, they have long names, and they
>> | persist automatically from one Emacs session to the next.  The
>> | prototypical use of bookmarks is to record "where you were reading" in
>> | various files.
>> `----
>>

> If using bookmarks do consider the excellent bookmark+ extensions. It
> makes bookmarks work with most fancy files such as info pages, web
> pages in w3m and so forth, in addition you can tag and group bookmarks
> - recommended.

I don't really need bookmarks.  Either I use links in org-files or I use
marks.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-29  8:14       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-01-29  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>

>> Of course, that won't switch to other files.  But emacs has bookmarks,
>> too.  See
>>
>> ,----[ (info "(emacs)Bookmarks") ]
>> | "Bookmarks" are somewhat like registers in that they record positions
>> | you can jump to.  Unlike registers, they have long names, and they
>> | persist automatically from one Emacs session to the next.  The
>> | prototypical use of bookmarks is to record "where you were reading" in
>> | various files.
>> `----
>>

> If using bookmarks do consider the excellent bookmark+ extensions. It
> makes bookmarks work with most fancy files such as info pages, web pages in
> w3m and so forth, in addition you can tag and group bookmarks -
> recommended.

Note:
In addition of that, you will find in bookmark-extensions.el full
support for Firefox and Delicious bookmarks, even bookmarking a web page
from Firefox in Emacs bookmarks is possible.

--
Thierry Volpiatto

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-01-30  9:19         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2010-01-30  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-02-01  5:47   ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-02-01  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Domenech Goulart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the info, but registers limit the marked entries
and I will not be able to cycle through them. So that is
out of the question.
After looking around I found thing-cmds.el . The description
looks good but I need to try it out.
I'm looking for something like:
press F2 -> put the current position where cursor is in a list with limit of
                   20 entries.
press F3 -> go forward in the list.
press F4 -> go backward in the list.

@ 2010-02-01 15:22     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Maindoor', 'Mario Domenech Goulart'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

	Thanks for the info, but registers limit the marked entries
	and I will not be able to cycle through them. So that is
	out of the question.
	After looking around I found thing-cmds.el . The description
	looks good but I need to try it out.
	I'm looking for something like:
	press F2 -> put the current position where cursor is in a
                  list with limit of 20 entries.
	press F3 -> go forward in the list.
	press F4 -> go backward in the list.

I wrote thing-cmds.el. Dunno if it will help you here - it's not clear to me
what you really want to do. I thought previously that what you wanted was
essentially bookmarks.

Now you say you just want to move through a list, that is, move forward a sexp
(list element) at a time. For that you can use `C-M-f', `C-M-b', and so on. What
you mean by your description of F2 is also unclear to me.

People's replies to you have been all over the map, which is an indication that
maybe your requirement isn't well specified. ;-) Most replies take the need to
be to bounce around among predefined positions. Hence people have suggested
marks (and global marks), registers, and bookmarks, all of which let you do
that.

* RE: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-02-02  8:35       ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-02-02  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mario Domenech Goulart', Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry, I'll be more verbose on my requirements this time. and looking at your
contributions to emacswiki, I can safely assume that such a thing does not exist
if you don't know the answer.
When browsing file1.c i come to 400th line in function fnA(). I want to remember
this particular line. so I press F2.  Then I goto file2.c, look  and I don't want to do anything. Then I go to file3.c, and visit line 50 in fnB(). I want to remember this, so I press F2. and so on.
Now I want to browse through the marked places so I press F3 and F4 to go back
and forth in the list that I marked. The list now contains two entries 400th line in
FnA() and 50 the line in FnB().
I can also limit the total number of entries in the list say to 20 or 50. So at most I will
be able to remember 20 or 50 places after which the oldest entries will be
overwritten.
Now registers and bookmarks will have tags associated with them and I don't
want to use tags. I just want to browse through the remembered entries.

Will things-cmd.el serve the purpose ? or is there some other utility ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@ 2010-02-02 12:24         ` Richard Riley
       [not found]         ` <mailman.589.1265113565.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-02 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> writes:

> When browsing file1.c i come to 400th line in function fnA(). I want to remember
> this particular line. so I press F2.  Then I goto file2.c, look  and I don't want to do anything. Then I go to file3.c, and visit line 50 in
> fnB(). I want to remember this, so I press F2. and so on.
> Now I want to browse through the marked places so I press F3 and F4 to go back
> and forth in the list that I marked. The list now contains two entries 400th line in
> FnA() and 50 the line in FnB().
> I can also limit the total number of entries in the list say to 20 or 50. So at most I will
> be able to remember 20 or 50 places after which the oldest entries will be
> overwritten.
> Now registers and bookmarks will have tags associated with them and I don't
> want to use tags. I just want to browse through the remembered entries.
>
> Will things-cmd.el serve the purpose ? or is there some other utility
> ?

I am pretty sure that *almost* exactly what you want is what I posted before.

Find bm-toggle.

,----
| (autoload 'bm-toggle   "bm" "Toggle bookmark in current buffer." t)
| (autoload 'bm-next     "bm" "Goto bookmark."                     t)
| (autoload 'bm-previous "bm" "Goto previous bookmark."            t)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f8>")   'bm-next)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<M-f8>") 'bm-previous)
| (global-set-key (kbd "<C-f8>") 'bm-toggle)
`----

I dont think there is a 20 or 50 maximum however.

* RE: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-02-02 15:50         ` Drew Adams
       [not found]         ` <mailman.589.1265113565.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-02 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Maindoor', 'Mario Domenech Goulart'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Sorry, I'll be more verbose on my requirements this time. and looking at your
> contributions to emacswiki, I can safely assume that such a thing does not
exist
> if you don't know the answer.

Bad assumption - I'm not as knowledgable as you suppose.

And it's not about being verbose. It's about making clear what you're looking
for. Current session only? Multiple buffers? Multiple positions per buffer?
Visual markings? Named positions? The possibilities depend on the answers.

> When browsing file1.c i come to 400th line in function fnA(). I want to
remember
> this particular line. so I press F2.  Then I goto file2.c, look  and I don't
> want to do anything. Then I go to file3.c, and visit line 50 in fnB(). I want
> to remember this, so I press F2. and so on.
> Now I want to browse through the marked places so I press F3 and F4 to go back

> and forth in the list that I marked. The list now contains two entries 400th
line in
> FnA() and 50 the line in FnB().
> I can also limit the total number of entries in the list say to 20 or 50.
> So at most I will be able to remember 20 or 50 places after which the oldest
> entries will be overwritten.
> Now registers and bookmarks will have tags associated with them and I don't
> want to use tags. I just want to browse through the remembered entries.
>
> Will things-cmd.el serve the purpose ? or is there some other utility ?

No. thing-cmds.el is for selecting things (text). You want to record positions
and then move among them.

So based on what you just said, it seems: You want to be able to (quickly -
single key) set a "marker" (placeholder) of sorts at a location, without needing
to provide a name (what you called a "tag"), and later, in the same session,
return to that marker from anywhere else. Even a one-character name (as for a
register) is too much bother. You don't need persistence (cross-session
"markers"), and you don't need named "markers". You don't need to record very
many such places. You don't need more than one such "marker" per buffer (based
on your example).

Richard R. gave you one possibility: library bm.el offers visible, unnamed marks
that you can cycle through.

Another possibility is to use ordinary global marks - see node `Global Mark
Ring' in the Emacs manual. If you do need multiple "markers" in the same buffer,
then use local marks - see node `Mark Ring' in the manual. You can cycle among
the marks in either ring.

Using the mark rings, you cannot easily see the possible destinations, and it
can take a moment to see where you've arrived (cursor location) after you move
to a mark. Library bm.el helps with that by making marked positions visible.

If you use Icicles, then you can trip around among local and global marks more
flexibly, and you can also see easily where you've arrived (cross-hairs). You
can cycle among marks, but you can also move directly to any mark you want. See
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Tripping (commands `icicle-goto-marker'
and `icicle-goto-global-marker').

This direct access is possible because, though you don't name the marks, you can
refer to the text (lines) they are in to distinguish them. The text around each
mark is an Icicles completion candidate. When you cycle among candidates, you
can simultaneously move to their locations.

You can cycle through them all to get to one you want (which is OK if there are
few), or you can type a bit of text to narrow the candidates down, then cycle or
type some more, etc. Or you can just pick candidates from the *Completions*
buffer with the mouse.

If you decide you do want persistent "markers", but you still don't want to name
them, you can use Icicles together with Bookmark+ to get what you want. The same
key is used for setting a (book)mark and jumping to (any number of) bookmarks.
With `-' as prefix arg, you jump. With `0' or any other digit, you set (mark).
Or bind your own keys.

When you define a bookmark this way, it is named automatically, without any
interaction. The name is taken from the position's context: the buffer name plus
some text from the line (or the region, if active). You can use Icicles to trip
around among candidate bookmarks the same way as among Emacs marks.

HTH.

@ 2010-02-02 19:07           ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-02-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 2, 5:24 pm, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pretty sure that *almost* exactly what you want is what I posted before.

Thanks Richard: I tried bm and it looks good.
If I open a file with existing bookmarks it works but could not figure
out how to jump to bookmarks in different files.

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-02-02 20:36             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 2, 5:24 pm, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am pretty sure that *almost* exactly what you want is what I posted before.
>
> Thanks Richard: I tried bm and it looks good.
> If I open a file with existing bookmarks it works but could not figure
> out how to jump to bookmarks in different files.

bind a key to bm-show-all as a slight improvement.

Not exactly as you wanted (and a strange default I must say - it had
been a while since using it) after all - I was slightly mistaken and
remembered it as moving buffers too.

--
Google Talk : rileyrgdev@googlemail.com  http://www.google.com/talk
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

* RE: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-02-03  4:50           ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-02-03  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mario Domenech Goulart', Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Drew,
Thank you for the explanation.
Richard's mail to this thread earlier was
something that I would be interested in. But it has a major feature flaw.
Buffer local bookmarks ? It would be great if it were global. Another
user wanted global scope too.

@ 2010-02-03  4:50               ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-02-03  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Richard Riley

Exactly. It is a weird default. If it were global, that would be it. It would have been
perfect. I am a newbie to lisp.
Drew, If I may request, If you can hack it up a little bit, it would be great.
Perhaps concat the list as in bm-show-all and then do a bm-next on it,
instead of a getting the list from the local buffer.

Maindoor.

@ 2010-02-03  7:32                 ` Drew Adams
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.636.1265183360.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-03  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Maindoor', help-gnu-emacs, 'Richard Riley'

> Exactly. It is a weird default. If it were global, that would be it.
> It would have been perfect. I am a newbie to lisp.
>
> Drew, If I may request, If you can hack it up a little bit, it would be great.

> Perhaps concat the list as in bm-show-all and then do a bm-next on it,
> instead of a getting the list from the local buffer.

Hm, did you mean Richard? He's the one you were replying to here, not me.
And I'm not the maintainer of bm.el.

I already mentioned two different ways that you _can_ have global, visible
markers/bookmarks: (1) Icicles and (2) bookmarks. If you want to use bm
bookmarks instead, then don't complain that they don't really do what you want.
;-)

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
@ 2010-02-03  7:47                 ` Richard Riley
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.636.1265183360.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-03  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> writes:

> Exactly. It is a weird default. If it were global, that would be it. It would have been
> perfect. I am a newbie to lisp.
> Drew, If I may request, If you can hack it up a little bit, it would be great.
> Perhaps concat the list as in bm-show-all and then do a bm-next on it,
> instead of a getting the list from the local buffer.
>
> Maindoor.

Use bm-show-all and "space" to see the buffer associated with the
bookmark under point. I had a brief look and, well, its way beyond my
elisp - its some heady mixture of overlays for current buffer bookmarks
and man made strings with text properties for global lists. I might try
later but don't hold your breath ;)

If you dont now how to bind a key to that command, look at the code I
originally posted.

@ 2010-02-03 16:57                   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-02-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 3, 12:47 pm, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maindoor <sanjeevfi...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Exactly. It is a weird default. If it were global, that would be it. It would have been
> > perfect. I am a newbie to lisp.
> > Drew, If I may request, If you can hack it up a little bit, it would be great.
> > Perhaps concat the list as in bm-show-all and then do a bm-next on it,
> > instead of a getting the list from the local buffer.
>
> > Maindoor.
>
> Use bm-show-all and "space" to see the buffer associated with the
> bookmark under point. I had a brief look and, well, its way beyond my
> elisp - its some heady mixture of overlays for current buffer bookmarks
> and man made strings with text properties for global lists. I might try
> later but don't hold your breath ;)

bm-show-all with emacs straight after startup (no open files/buffers)
says
"No bookmarks defined"

If I then open a file where I had previously put a bookmark and do bm-
show-all -- it shows only that file's bookmarks, not the bookmarks in
other files.
So it appears that bm does not know of a bookmark unless you somehow
go to a bookmark and say Hello :-)

Would you classify this as a working bookmark system?

My bm setup attempt is as under:

(setq bm-restore-repository-on-load t)
(require 'bm)
(add-hook 'after-init-hook 'bm-repository-load)

  ;; Restoring bookmarks when on file find.
  (add-hook 'find-file-hooks 'bm-buffer-restore)

  ;; Saving bookmark data on killing a buffer
  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'bm-buffer-save)

  ;; Saving the repository to file when on exit.
  ;; kill-buffer-hook is not called when emacs is killed, so we
  ;; must save all bookmarks first.
  (add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook '(lambda nil
	  		             (bm-buffer-save-all)
			             (bm-repository-save)))

  ;; Update bookmark repository when saving the file.
  (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'bm-buffer-save)

  ;; Restore bookmarks when buffer is reverted.
  (add-hook 'after-revert-hook 'bm-buffer-restore)

@ 2010-02-03 17:58                     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-03 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Feb 3, 12:47 pm, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maindoor <sanjeevfi...@yahoo.com> writes:
>> > Exactly. It is a weird default. If it were global, that would be it. It would have been
>> > perfect. I am a newbie to lisp.
>> > Drew, If I may request, If you can hack it up a little bit, it would be great.
>> > Perhaps concat the list as in bm-show-all and then do a bm-next on it,
>> > instead of a getting the list from the local buffer.
>>
>> > Maindoor.
>>
>> Use bm-show-all and "space" to see the buffer associated with the
>> bookmark under point. I had a brief look and, well, its way beyond my
>> elisp - its some heady mixture of overlays for current buffer bookmarks
>> and man made strings with text properties for global lists. I might try
>> later but don't hold your breath ;)
>
> bm-show-all with emacs straight after startup (no open files/buffers)
> says
> "No bookmarks defined"

As I would expect. I didn't try or suggest the persistent part of
it so can not really add anything.

> If I then open a file where I had previously put a bookmark and do bm-
> show-all -- it shows only that file's bookmarks, not the bookmarks in
> other files.

It shows all bookmarks in all buffers in the current
session. BTW, only bookmarks set with the bm interface. The code loops
on all open buffers.

> So it appears that bm does not know of a bookmark unless you somehow
> go to a bookmark and say Hello :-)
>
> Would you classify this as a working bookmark system?

Well, yes. As it does work in the scenario previously discussed.  I cant
comment on your attempts at using persistence  as I haven't tried it myself.

@ 2010-02-04  6:03                       ` Maindoor
From: Maindoor @ 2010-02-04  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Richard Riley

Found exactly what I was looking for: bookmarknav . Give it a try.

       [not found] <mailman.680.1265263392.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-02-05 10:03 ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2010-02-05 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 4, 11:03 am, Maindoor <sanjeevfi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Found exactly what I was looking for: bookmarknav . Give it a try.
>
> Maindoor.

Wrong type argument: arrayp, (meta \.)

* Re: simple requirement, so simple don't know how to search
       [not found] <mailman.354.1264682403.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-02-18  9:27 ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2010-02-18  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Maindoor <sanjeevfiles@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I have a huge codebase and I I visit various files. There are certain points
> which I would like "the feature I"m looking for" to remember when I press a key.
> So that I can cycle through them back and forth. This is quite basic so I am hoping
> this will already be there.  Someone just tell me that this feature is there.

give mtorus a try.  I wrote that ages ago for just the requirement you
describe here.

http://www.skamphausen.de/cgi-bin/ska/mtorus

You create markers on-the-fly and store them on a ring, then you cycle
through that ring.  If you have a new topic you create a new ring where
you can put another group of markers.  Then you can cycle rings, too.

I always find it hard to explain, you will have to try it out.

Cheers,
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)
You hit. The format string crumbles and turns to dust.