On 08/02/2017 10:26 AM, Richard Stallman wrote: > But it is unreliable. You can't rely on the user's having done 'make' > in the repository before doing the git operations that use these > settings. You can pretty much rely on users running either Make or ./autogen.sh; otherwise they can't easily build or run Emacs. So the main problem here is ./autogen.sh. Although last year I arranged for ./autogen.sh (when invoked with no arguments) to do Git settings like Make does, some other developers objected at the time that this might conflict with their own Git settings so I changed autogen.sh to not alter Git settings except on explicit request. Given the confusion on this topic on the meantime, though, I think the change was mistaken, and in that sense I believe that you and I are in agreement. To help improve the situation I propose the attached patch, which reverts the default ./autogen.sh behavior to be './autogen.sh all', the way it used to be (briefly). Developers who want autogen.sh to leave their Git settings alone can continue to use './autogen.sh autoconf'.