all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Table formatting (cell padding) and navigation
@ 2012-05-23  2:22 Avery Chan
From: Avery Chan @ 2012-05-23  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using emacs 24.0.92.1 with the table psuedo-mode.

1) Is there a way to pad cells so that there is one or more spaces between the
text and the cell separator (i.e. '|')?

2) I realize that table mode isn't really a mode. Nonetheless I find doing C-h m
useful for finding out what keys are bound in a particular mode. Where can I
find documentation on what key combinations are bound in table mode? In
particular, I'm trying to determine how to navigate within a table (for example,
I found that tab sends me to the next cell).

Thanks.

* Re: Table formatting (cell padding) and navigation
       [not found] <mailman.1558.1337739910.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-24  1:03 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-05-24  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 22, 7:22 pm, Avery Chan <avery+gm...@ootbdev.com> wrote:
> I am using emacs 24.0.92.1 with the table psuedo-mode.
>
> 1) Is there a way to pad cells so that there is one or more spaces between the
> text and the cell separator (i.e. '|')?
>
> 2) I realize that table mode isn't really a mode. Nonetheless I find doing C-h m
> useful for finding out what keys are bound in a particular mode. Where can I
> find documentation on what key combinations are bound in table mode? In
> particular, I'm trying to determine how to navigate within a table (for example,
> I found that tab sends me to the next cell).
>
> Thanks.

C-h f then the command name, then click the link to see the source
code. Then, search for word map.

C-h m (describe-mode) is only for major mode. Minor mode doesn't have
such documentation.

i wrote a tutorial on table. Might be helpful.

〈Emacs: Working with Tables〉
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_table.html

 Xah