Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response! I've only used (NonGNU) ELPA with remote upstreams, that's why I wasn't sure for whom exactly does this conversation apply. On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, at 10:21 AM, Phil Sainty wrote: > On 2021-08-18 18:41, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > > I'm a bit confused by the conversation so far. Can someone elaborate > > on "maintainers have explicitly pushed their tags to the ELPA repo"? > > I do tag all the releases of my packages, as that's a common (and > > good) practice, but I don't understand why would something like this > > be affecting ELPA negatively. > > It won't. Not unless you went out of your way to make it a problem. > > Your "single project repository" is not the ELPA repo. The ELPA repo > contains all of the packages in that archive. > > This whole discussion only applies if you are manually pushing code > changes to the ELPA repo. If your package is defined as an external > repo for ELPA's build processes to fetch automatically, then you aren't > pushing *anything* to the ELPA repo at all. > > > > Does it sync the tags from the remotes or what? > > No, it doesn't, so tags can't be a problem if ELPA is fetching the > updates itself. > > > > In general I don't think that something like "stop tagging your > > releases upstream" is a good solution. > > Keep tagging to your heart's content in your own repository. Just > don't push those tags to the ELPA repo (which you would need to do > explicitly with options to the "git push" command). > > > > Adding a prefix to the tag name (e.g. the package name) also seems > > weird in the context of a single project repository. > > Again, this was purely in the context of the multi-project ELPA repo. > If someone particularly wanted tags in the ELPA repo for a package, > then the tags would need to be namespaced with a prefix in order to > avoid potential clashes. > > > -Phil > > >