(Cross posted to comp.emacs.help, before I realized this may really be of a more specialized topic). I have started to rewrite gud from the ground up. For the process buffer I have 3 choices. 1. I can stick with comint.el. It seems the most creaky. 2. term.el is pretty cool, but it doesn't provide a hook to run when output is produced and this is something I need. I use it both in comint.el and eshell.el in "shell tracker" (think pdb-track) mode. So this leads to the last choice ... 3. eshell.el. It also seems pretty cool too. However its focus seems to be more as a command shell rather than a process buffer manager interacting via elisp to a debugger front-end. This mismatch in goals manifests itself in little things like the ability to set the name of the buffer initially, starting the shell with a specific debugger invocation, customizing the banner shown on entry, avoiding the myriad of key bindings that are not applicable here. Although little things each easly addressed, I think they are manifestations of the larger issue may keep cropping up if I go down this path. So right now, my take is to add a output filter hook to term.el. But I'd be interested and grateful in thoughts and suggestions.