all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs po-mode
@ 2008-08-12  8:03 mihkel
From: mihkel @ 2008-08-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey,

I hope there are some emacs users who occasionally do translating too. Anyway I
have some misunderstanding with emacs po-mode.

In emacs when I translate the following string, it puts it all into one line:
Code:

msgid ""
"If enabled, closing Sonata will minimize it to the system tray. Note that "
"it's currently impossible to detect if there actually is a system tray, so "
"only check this if you have one."
msgstr ""
"Kui lubatud, Sonata minimeerib end süsteemsesse salve. Kahjuks hetkel on
võimatu tuvastada, kas süsteemne salv on ka olemas, niiet luba ainult siis, kui
tead, et su töölaual on salv."

When I manually add new lines (to same places where they are in msgid), I get:
Code:

msgid ""
"If enabled, closing Sonata will minimize it to the system tray. Note that "
"it's currently impossible to detect if there actually is a system tray, so "
"only check this if you have one."
msgstr ""
"Kui lubatud, Sonata minimeerib end süsteemsesse salve. Kahjuks hetkel on\n"
"võimatu tuvastada, kas süsteemne salv on ka olemas, niiet luba ainult siis,\n"
"kui tead, et su töölaual on salv."

Notice those "\n"
But I need:
Code:

msgid ""
"If enabled, closing Sonata will minimize it to the system tray. Note that "
"it's currently impossible to detect if there actually is a system tray, so "
"only check this if you have one."
msgstr ""
"Kui lubatud, Sonata minimeerib end süsteemsesse salve. Kahjuks hetkel on "
"võimatu tuvastada, kas süsteemne salv on ka olemas, niiet luba ainult siis,"
"kui tead, et su töölaual on salv."

My .emacs file http://pastebin.ca/1166663
Thanks in advance.
Debian Lenny and emacs-snatshot Version: 1:20080808-1

mihkel (second day using emacs)

PS! Since I'm not subscribed to this list, please cc to turakas at gmail dot com

* Emacs po-mode
@ 2008-08-12 20:44 turakas
From: turakas @ 2008-08-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I sent this e-mail directly to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, but it looks
like it got lost. So I post it to gnu.emacs.help again.

* Re: Emacs po-mode
@ 2008-08-12 21:43 ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2008-08-12 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: turakas

turakas@gmail.com wrote:

> Notice those "\n"

This is an expected behaviour (see gettext manual, 8.3.4):

«Right now, in PO mode, strings are single line or multi-line. A string
 goes multi-line if and only if it has _embedded_ newlines…»

If you need to just _wrap_ long single-line `msgstr` contents, use
`po-wrap` function described here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/trans-coord/manual/gnun/html_node/New-Translation.html.
It has to process the whole file, though.

I've already pointed out in `gnu.utils.bug` that `po-wrap` function is
worth including in po-mode (at least until normalization issues stated
in gettext manual are resolved).
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Emacs po-mode
@ 2008-08-13 17:51   ` turakas
From: turakas @ 2008-08-13 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On 13 aug, 00:43, Dmitry Dzhus <d...@sphinx.net.ru> wrote:
Thanks for you answer. Since I can't speak lisp, I didn't know I
needed to use M-x po-wrap.

But I have another question too. It is related to emacs po-mode, so I
post it to this thread.
I have a string:

    msgid "<b>Search:\t</b>"

There is that TAB space (\t). When I insert \t manually, emacs writes \
\t:

    msgstr "<b>Otsi:\\t</b>"

How can I make emacs write only \t so my translation looks like that:

    msgstr "<b>Otsi:\t</b>"

mihkel

* Re: Emacs po-mode
@ 2008-08-14  1:39     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16646.1218677956.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-08-14  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

turakas@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 13 aug, 00:43, Dmitry Dzhus <d...@sphinx.net.ru> wrote:
> Thanks for you answer. Since I can't speak lisp, I didn't know I
> needed to use M-x po-wrap.
>
> But I have another question too. It is related to emacs po-mode, so I
> post it to this thread.
> I have a string:
>
>     msgid "<b>Search:\t</b>"
>
> There is that TAB space (\t). When I insert \t manually, emacs writes \
> \t:
>
>     msgstr "<b>Otsi:\\t</b>"
>
> How can I make emacs write only \t so my translation looks like that:
>
>     msgstr "<b>Otsi:\t</b>"

Just a guess: C-q \ t

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Emacs po-mode
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16646.1218677956.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-14  3:26       ` turakas
From: turakas @ 2008-08-14  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Just a guess: C-q \ t

This seems to do the same as just writing \t.

* Re: Emacs po-mode
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16646.1218677956.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-14 13:25     ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2008-08-14 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

turakas@gmail.com wrote:

> But I have another question too. It is related to emacs po-mode, so I
> post it to this thread.
> I have a string:
>
>     msgid "<b>Search:\t</b>"
>
> There is that TAB space (\t). When I insert \t manually, emacs writes \
> \t:
>
>     msgstr "<b>Otsi:\\t</b>"
>
> How can I make emacs write only \t so my translation looks like that:
>
>     msgstr "<b>Otsi:\t</b>"

Insert raw tabulation instead of \t in msgstr: C-q TAB.
--

@ 2008-08-14 15:15       ` turakas
From: turakas @ 2008-08-14 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Insert raw tabulation instead of \t in msgstr: C-q TAB.

This one works. Thanks again.