On 29/08/17 08:04, Richard Banach wrote: > b) the customization only took effect in emacs running in its own > window ... in emacs -nw started in an xterm, the colours are > different (for the same latex file), the customizations have no effect, > and the keyword colour mapping (for latex keywords) is coming from some > other place, which i'd like to be able to edit if possible There ought to be a better way to customize the colors for LaTeX mode, but the only thing I can suggest is to move point to the text whose color you want to customize and then do M-x “customize-face”. If you press ENTER without writing anything in the minibuffer, it will customize the face at point. > | I have never seen "pale pastel" colors by default. What version of Emacs > | do you use? > > it says > > GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13) > of 2017-03-03 on c1bm.rdu2.centos.org Thanks you. I use Emacs 24.5 as shipped in Debian 9. I have attached a screenshot of “emacs -q” (because otherwise I have custom colors). Does it look like this to you as well? ----- Maybe it is just that your terminal emulator is mapping the 8 color palette to pastel colors, as another user said. -- Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan