all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to rebind the QUIT button on the GUI.
@ 2018-12-30  3:40 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2018-12-30  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My current quit button on the Emacs GUI asks for a directory using the mouse.  It asks me for a directory to save the *Message* buffer and another buffer such as *Compile-Log* etc.

This is not ideal behavior since buffers whose buffer name starts and ends with a * should be killed and not saved.

The ideal behavior would not ask for a directory to save the *Message* buffer.

I also prefer the modeline for asking such questions.

* Re: How to rebind the QUIT button on the GUI.
@ 2018-12-30 15:08 ` ken
From: ken @ 2018-12-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/29/18 10:40 PM, Davin Pearson wrote:
> My current quit button on the Emacs GUI asks for a directory using the mouse.  It asks me for a directory to save the *Message* buffer and another buffer such as *Compile-Log* etc.
>
> This is not ideal behavior since buffers whose buffer name starts and ends with a * should be killed and not saved.
>
> The ideal behavior would not ask for a directory to save the *Message* buffer.
>
> I also prefer the modeline for asking such questions.

Davin, instead of clicking on the quit button, what happens when you
quit with "C-x C-c"?  Are you then able to use the modeline?

* Re: How to rebind the QUIT button on the GUI.
@ 2018-12-30 22:56 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-12-30 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> My current quit button on the Emacs GUI asks for a directory using the
> mouse.  It asks me for a directory to save the *Message* buffer and
> another buffer such as *Compile-Log* etc.
>
> This is not ideal behavior since buffers whose buffer name starts and
> ends with a * should be killed and not saved.

It is also not the default behavior.  So something in your configuration
is doing this, and it's hard to guess what.  Could be you have
associated a file with *Message* or *Compile-Log*, or some package you
are using is causing that behavior for some reason.

Michael.

* RE: How to rebind the QUIT button on the GUI.
@ 2018-12-30 23:59   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2018-12-30 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> buffers whose buffer name starts and
> ends with a * should be killed and not saved.

There's no such "should".  By convention,
buffers named `*...*' are not associated with
a file.  But you can save not only any buffer
but even any region of any buffer in a file.

You will likely want to give the file a
different name, e.g., dropping the asterisks
but, depending on your operating system, even
that might not be a requirement.