all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Accessibility: caret tracking in emacs with gnome shell magnifier
@ 2019-02-25  9:34 Eric Danan
From: Eric Danan @ 2019-02-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: alexarnaud

Hello,

Due to a visual impairment I constantly work with a screen magnifier
turned on (in full screen mode), and I need it to track the caret to
follow what I am typing.

So far I am using emacs 26.1 on cygwin on windows 10, and the windows 10
magnifier does the job of tracking the caret.

I am considering switching to gnome on linux and therefore installed the
fedora (version 29) distribution to try it out. The gnome (3.30) shell
magnifier supports caret tracking and it works in other applications but
not emacs (26.1).

I previously sent this message to the gnome accessibility list (that was
a long time ago in 2015, so with earlier versions of emacs and gnome)
and got a reply from Alex Arnaud (cc) stating:

 > I've tried to test Emacs with Accercicer (a accessibility debug tool)
and my conclusion are Emacs doesn't connect it to AT-SPI (accessibility
stack).

He also suggested that I write to this list, which I'm (finally!) doing.
I hope it is appropriate to report this here.

Best regards,

Eric

* Re: Accessibility: caret tracking in emacs with gnome shell magnifier
@ 2019-02-25 10:06 ` Alex ARNAUD
From: Alex ARNAUD @ 2019-02-25 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Danan, emacs-devel

Hello Eric,

I'm myself a visual-impaired and an emacs users.

I advise you to run emacs inside the GNOME Terminal. The steps are:
1) Open GNOME Terminal
2) Write the command "emacs -nw"

I personally use Debian GNU/Linux, Mate and Compiz Reloaded focus
tracking feature because I found them more reliable for those reasons:
- There is an accessibility team inside Debian
- Mate team take care of accessibility and offer a more natural desktop
experience
- I'm participating to the screen magnifier and focus tracking of Compiz
reloaded so I couldn't be fully objective but I hope our focus tracking
feature is more reliable than the GNOME One, if not, don't hesitate to
fill a bug.

Best regards,
Alex.

@ 2019-02-25 13:13   ` Eric Danan
From: Eric Danan @ 2019-02-25 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex ARNAUD; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you Alex. I'd like to use GUI emacs so as to be able to e.g. use
the pdf-tools package to view pdf files (this is not possible in
terminal as far as I know). If I installed debian with the mate desktop,
would caret tracking work in GUI emacs?

Thanks,

Eric

@ 2019-02-25 13:37     ` Alex ARNAUD
From: Alex ARNAUD @ 2019-02-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Danan; +Cc: emacs-devel

Le 25/02/2019 à 14:13, Eric Danan a écrit :
> Thank you Alex. I'd like to use GUI emacs so as to be able to e.g. use
> the pdf-tools package to view pdf files (this is not possible in
> terminal as far as I know).

I never tried to read PDF inside Emacs because I use it only as text editor.

> If I installed debian with the mate desktop,
> would caret tracking work in GUI emacs?

No, it won't work. I can't tell you why and if it's a complicated stuff
to make it working.

Best regards,
Alex.

* Re: Accessibility: caret tracking in emacs with gnome shell magnifier
@ 2019-02-25 14:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-02-25 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Eric Danan

> I am considering switching to gnome on linux and therefore installed the
> fedora (version 29) distribution to try it out.  The gnome (3.30) shell
> magnifier supports caret tracking and it works in other applications but not
> Emacs (26.1).

[ Not sure what you mean by the "caret", but I'll assume it's more or
  less the same as what I call the "cursor".  ]

Sounds like an important missing feature.

I don't see a bug about it yet at debbugs.gnu.org, so please open one
via `M-x report-emacs-bug`.