all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-25  3:18 borch
From: borch @ 2002-11-25  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I (am trying to) use emacs for cygwin running on win2k. Ive used emacs
before but  long since forgotten the commands. So I just go through
the tutorial, right? Well thats the problem really. The startup screen
of this version shows this:

Get help C-h (Hold down CTRL and press h)
(...)
Get a tutorial C-h t
(...)
GNU Emacs 21.2 (i686-pc-cygwin)
 of 2002-11-25 on (...)

So naturally the first thing i do is press C-h, but to my confusion
this seems to work like BACKSPACE, and as such does not allow for any
arguments to be given. In other words typing C-h t merely results in a
BACKSPACE followed by the character 't'. Now, if i ever find myself in
a situation where i need to substitute a given character in the buffer
with the character 't', i will definitely remember C-h t, but in the
meantime i just need to get to the tutorial. Please help.

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-25 10:01 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-25 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

kdb@ofir.dk (borch) writes:

> So naturally the first thing i do is press C-h, but to my confusion
> this seems to work like BACKSPACE, and as such does not allow for any
> arguments to be given.

It seems that somebody changed the Emacs configuration.  Does this
also happen when you start Emacs as "emacs -q -no-site-file"?  If
this makes the problem go away, my guess was right.

In the meantime, F1 might substitute for C-h.

kai

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-26  2:17 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2002-11-26  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi

i've had a problem like that years ago on unix machines.

first advice: start the tut by typing ESC x help-with-tutorial or meta-x
help-with-tutorial or so...

second advice: bind the command help to another key i.e. F1.

cu, leooo

@ 2002-11-26 10:11   ` borch
From: borch @ 2002-11-26 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai wrote:

>Does this also happen when you start Emacs as "emacs -q
-no-site-file"?

Yes.

But im kicking myself right now for not trying F1 sooner :) - it
works. However another problem that i forgot to mention in my initial
post is that i cant make a clean exit from emacs. C-x C-c as it says
in the opening screen, doesnt work. After a little investigation it
seems that emacs generally mistakes C-c for C-g. I asked for a key
decription of C-x C-c and it told me that C-x C-g was undefined, i
then asked for a key description of just C-c and it gave me the
description of C-g, so it seems pretty conclusive.

<rant>
This program has obviously not been tested or such a bug would have
quickly been discovered. Note that i havent changed any key bindings
or other configurations - this is the way the program "works" right
after installation.
</rant>

The way ive "exited" emacs lately has been by suspending it (C-x C-z).
It brings me back to the shell, but i suspect it leaves all sorts of
stuff in memory and/or on my harddrive so its not very pretty.

cya

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-26 15:03     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-26 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> <rant>
> This program has obviously not been tested or such a bug would have
> quickly been discovered. Note that i havent changed any key bindings
> or other configurations - this is the way the program "works" right
> after installation.
> </rant>

I don't know how Cygwin distribute their Emacs package, but note that
Emacs (the canonical version) does not work under Cygwin and that what
Cygwin distribute is a patched version of Emacs and that this patch is
pretty recent and indeed probably not heavily tested yet.

Please report your problems to Cygwin so they get a chance to fix it
(their patch will hopefully make its way into the official version of Emacs
at some stage).

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-26 15:24       ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-11-26 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

  >> <rant> This program has obviously not been tested or such a bug
  >> would have quickly been discovered. Note that i havent changed
  >> any key bindings or other configurations - this is the way the
  >> program "works" right after installation.  </rant>

  Stefan> I don't know how Cygwin distribute their Emacs package, but
  Stefan> note that Emacs (the canonical version) does not work under
  Stefan> Cygwin and that what Cygwin distribute is a patched version
  Stefan> of Emacs and that this patch is pretty recent and indeed
  Stefan> probably not heavily tested yet.

  Stefan> Please report your problems to Cygwin so they get a chance
  Stefan> to fix it (their patch will hopefully make its way into the
  Stefan> official version of Emacs at some stage).

Sooner the better it would seem. Then it could go through the normal
pretest procedure. Which would make three different compiled versions
on windows, if I am adding up correctly?

Wow.

Phil

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-26 16:18     ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2002-11-26 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

kdb> then asked for a key description of just C-c and it gave me the
kdb> description of C-g, so it seems pretty conclusive.

I can reproduce here as local admin (installer), but not as normal user.

kdb> The way ive "exited" emacs lately has been by suspending it (C-x C-z).

You still have: M-x save-buffers-kill-emacs (with Esc for meta).

--
Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-26 23:14         ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-26 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sooner the better it would seem. Then it could go through the normal
> pretest procedure. Which would make three different compiled versions
> on windows, if I am adding up correctly?

Yup.  But we're missing manpower to take care of it right now.

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-27  5:55         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-11-27  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Nov 2002, Phillip Lord wrote:

> Which would make three different compiled versions
> on windows, if I am adding up correctly?

Actually, it's more like 2 versions, not 3.  The binaries compiled by
MSVC and MinGW are the same program, just with code produced by a
different compiler; they use the same runtime libraries and GUI
toolkits.  The Cygwin binary is a totally different beast, running mostly
Unix branch of the code and using the ported X libraries and toolkits.

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-27  8:18       ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2002-11-27  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

MG> I can reproduce here as local admin (installer), but not as normal user.

And today, I cannot even reproduce as admin!!?
C-c is interpreted as C-c...

--

@ 2002-11-27 20:47         ` borch
From: borch @ 2002-11-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc Girod <girod@shire.ntc.nokia.com> wrote in message news:<1yfztnzayu.fsf@farin.ntc.nokia.com>...

> MG> I can reproduce here as local admin (installer), but not as normal user.
>
> And today, I cannot even reproduce as admin!!?
> C-c is interpreted as C-c...

Well then, bug solved! ;)

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1038376583.28669.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-27 22:16 ` borch
From: borch @ 2002-11-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heres a funny little episode:

I found out about the bug report system in emacs (neat btw) and wanted
to report the bug about C-c being interpreted as C-g, but guess what
it says:

Type C-c C-c to send the bug report.

LOL :D

(BTW i know there are other ways to report bugs in emacs)

* Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-28  5:30 borch
From: borch @ 2002-11-28  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am running cygwin emacs on a win2k machine. On the startup screen it
identifies itself as

GNU Emacs 21.2 (i686-pc-cygwin)
 of 2002-11-25 on (...)

I have not changed any configurations, key bindings or anything.

I have two problems to report:

1. C-h is interpreted as DEL, and as such the help command doesnt
work.

2. C-c is interpreted as C-g causing a multitude of functions not to
work, among them exit emacs and, ironically, the send bug report
function.

I probably dont need to say this, but im not asking for workarounds im
just reporting problems and, as always, please bear with me if this is
a redundant report.

OAO

* Re: Cygwin Emacs
@ 2002-11-28  8:18           ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2002-11-28  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

kdb> Well then, bug solved! ;)

From the cygwin list, I got the explanation: I have set "tty" in the
CYGWIN system environment variable in the meanwhile --and rebooted (I
did it for unrelated reasons, but this was a side-effect).

--

@ 2002-11-30 16:02   ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2002-11-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

That is funny...

I went into report-emacs-bug, and got the help for the keys C-c C-c

------------------------------
C-c C-c runs the command mail-send-and-exit
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `sendmail'.
(mail-send-and-exit ARG)

Send message like `mail-send', then, if no errors, exit from mail buffer.
Prefix arg means don't delete this window.
------------------------------

So you can, on completion of the bug report, type M-x mail-send-and-exit

 - Chris

kdb@ofir.dk (borch) writes:

> Heres a funny little episode:
>
> I found out about the bug report system in emacs (neat btw) and wanted
> to report the bug about C-c being interpreted as C-g, but guess what
> it says:
>
> Type C-c C-c to send the bug report.
>
> LOL :D
>
> (BTW i know there are other ways to report bugs in emacs)

--
     (.   .)