all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* limiting special buffers to dedicated frames
@ 2010-04-19 12:54 LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-04-19 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I'd like to have dedicated emacs frames for special buffers.

Let's say all *info* and help buffers always opening in a special
"Help" frame with predefined geometry.

Switching to these buffers should also raise these frames.

Think of how other Applications show helpcontent on F1, they raise
another (X-) window.

I was trying

     (setq special-display-buffer-names
           '("*info*"))

but without success...

Thanks for any help
  Rolf

* Re: limiting special buffers to dedicated frames
@ 2010-04-19 19:51 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2010-04-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

LanX wrote:
> Hi
>

> I was trying
>
>      (setq special-display-buffer-names
>            '("*info*"))

Hi Rolf,
On Xemacs, it is
       (setq special-display-buffer-names
             '(
                ( "buffer-name-1" (variable-1a . 'value1a)  (variable-1b . 'value1b)  )
                ( "buffer-name-2" (variable-2a . 'value1a)  (variable-2b . 'value2b)  )
               )
       )

should be the same for GNU emacs.

> Thanks for any help
>   Rolf

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: limiting special buffers to dedicated frames
@ 2010-04-19 21:30 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-04-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

LanX wrote:

> I was trying
>
>      (setq special-display-buffer-names
>            '("*info*"))
>
> but without success...

C-h v special-display-buffer-names

    If this variable appears "not to work", because you added a name to
    it but the corresponding buffer is displayed in the selected window,
    look at the values of `same-window-buffer-names' and
    `same-window-regexps'. Those variables take precedence over this one.

* Re: limiting special buffers to dedicated frames
@ 2010-04-20  7:59   ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-04-20  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 19 Apr., 23:30, Glenn Morris <rgm+n...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> C-h v special-display-buffer-names

Thanks deleting the "info" regexp in `same-window-regexps' helped. 8)

BTW: I read the "C-h v" description of all these variables yesterday
more than once but was confused what "same" has to mean.

Now I know It's not the "same" window where "*info*" was already
displayed but the "actual" window from where the command is invoked...

* RE: limiting special buffers to dedicated frames
@ 2010-05-04 22:16 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-04 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'LanX', help-gnu-emacs

> I'd like to have dedicated emacs frames for special buffers.
>
> Let's say all *info* and help buffers always opening in a special
> "Help" frame with predefined geometry.
>
> Switching to these buffers should also raise these frames.
> Think of how other Applications show helpcontent on F1, they raise
> another (X-) window.
>
> I was trying
>      (setq special-display-buffer-names
> but without success...

I do exactly that: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs.

If you don't like exactly the same thing out-of-the-box, looking at the code
might nevertheless help you get what you want.

* Re: limiting special buffers to dedicated frames
@ 2010-05-05 20:10   ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2010-05-05 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs