all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tool bar mode
@ 2004-04-25  3:05 Charles Jamieson
From: Charles Jamieson @ 2004-04-25  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am unable to get rid of the toolbar in emacs 21.3.  I include the line

	(setq tool-bar-mode nil)

in the .emacs file.  But the tool bar is still there.  I am using Linux.

-charles

* Re: tool bar mode
@ 2004-04-25  8:56 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-25  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 25 2004, Charles Jamieson wrote:

> I am unable to get rid of the toolbar in emacs 21.3.  I include the line
>
> 	(setq tool-bar-mode nil)
>
> in the .emacs file.  But the tool bar is still there.  I am using Linux.

How about reading the documentation?

,----[ C-h v tool-bar-mode RET ]
| tool-bar-mode's value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil if Tool-Bar mode is enabled.
| See the command `tool-bar-mode' for a description of this minor-mode.
| Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
| use either M-x customize or the function `tool-bar-mode'.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| Defined in `tool-bar'.
`----

Thus, you should use "(tool-bar-mode -1)" or better...

,----[ ~/.Xresources (see [1]) ]
| Emacs.toolBar:  0
`----

If you turn it off via Lisp, Emacs starts with a tool-bar and turns it
off later (when the Lisp code is run).  When set via Xresources, no
tool-bar is created at all.

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----[ NEWS - `C-h n' ]

`----
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: tool bar mode
@ 2004-04-27 16:23 ` Ryan Bowman
From: Ryan Bowman @ 2004-04-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Charles Jamieson <cjamieson@no.junk> wrote:
> I am unable to get rid of the toolbar in emacs 21.3.
>  I include the line
>
> 	(setq tool-bar-mode nil)
>
> in the .emacs file.  But the tool bar is still
> there.  I am using Linux.
>
> -charles

I used (tool-bar-mode nil), rather than setq and it
works fine

=====
---
Ryan

The door at the end of the tunnel is far too small...
 - Closing In 2.0 - Don't Be Afraid - Information Society - insoc.org
---