all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: email, Calendar, PGP, Follow up to Setting Frame Parameters
@ 2011-11-23 15:54 Alexander
From: Alexander @ 2011-11-23 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, xecycle

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > But what's the variable name for cursor color?
>
> Use frame parameter `cursor-color' (in `default-frame-alist').
>
> > And for font size?
>
> That's part of the font definition - frame parameter `font' (in
> `default-frame-alist').
>
> If you like what you saw in your black frame, then just do `C-h v
> frame-parameters' to see what the current frame parameters are, and set
> those
> you want in `default-frame-alist'.
>
> > I looked for these in the "Help" and some googling,
> > but no help.
>
> Look in the Emacs manual (`C-h r', or `C-h i' and choose `Emacs').  Use
> `i' to
> look for something that is in the index.  E.g. `i font TAB', `i cursor
> TAB'.  Or
> look in the Elisp manual: `i frame parameters'.
>
> Or use the search field on Emacs Wiki:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SiteMap.

Thank you for the Emacs wiki link. I honestly didn't know it existed. I
have a paper copy of the manual. I'm an undergraduate student and decided
to use GNU Emacs. It's awesome and I expect to use it for life; although it
feels odd saying that. Besides one c++ instructor, I think I'm the only
person using emacs at my institute, NYU-Poly. I was glad to find the
mailing list yesterday too. I've been alone for two months. Thanks for your
help guys.
Xecycle mentioned I should not attach my public key or whatever I did.
Sorry about that. I was in thunderbird and it seems I can't figure how to
attach my signature. But why use thunderbird when I can use emacs??? Do any
of you use emacs for email and mailing lists and calendars? And how has
your experience been? I'll search the wiki and my manual, but I appreciate
hearing from other people.
Sincerely,
--
Mr. Etter
rhettnaxel@gmail.com

* Re: email, Calendar, PGP, Follow up to Setting Frame Parameters
@ 2011-11-23 20:53 Silvio Levy
From: Silvio Levy @ 2011-11-23 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, xecycle

Dear Alexander,

> Do any of you use emacs for email and mailing lists and calendars?

I use emacs for all my email - specifically, I load mh-e which accesses
MH commands. I like MH because it saves each email in a separate file.

> And how has your experience been?

Very good overall. Attachments aren't handled automatically, though:
I save them and view them with the appropriate utility. So I might look
into a purely-emacs solution that handles attachments transparently
(which, to guess from this thread, is the case with emacs email mode).
But I'm not sure when I'll have time to do this.

Silvio