all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7458: Distinguishing between left/right command and control keys in OSX
@ 2010-11-21 11:17 Robert Clancy
From: Robert Clancy @ 2010-11-21 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7458

This is feature request for OSX users. As of revno 100102, one can set
ns-right-alternate-modifier
to change what the right alt key does. I would like to be able to
change what right command does. In particular I would like to be able
to set
ns-right-command-modifier
  to give meta but also to allow the operating system to catch left
command.

A relevant patch for aquamacs is given at
http://lists.aquamacs.org/pipermail/aquamacs-devel/2009-December/003890.html

Thanks,
Rob

* bug#7458: Distinguishing between left/right command and control keys in OSX
@ 2010-11-21 13:12 ` Jan Djärv
       [not found]   ` <26D52A39-2EDE-40AC-BC2F-B98B79A1FF04@gmail.com>
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-11-21 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Clancy; +Cc: 7458-done

Added to trunk.  As emacs-23 is in prestest, I didn't change there.
Note that Aquaemacs value none corresponds to left in Emacs, see
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=7150.

	Jan D.

@ 2010-11-22  8:56   ` Robert Clancy
       [not found]   ` <26D52A39-2EDE-40AC-BC2F-B98B79A1FF04@gmail.com>
From: Robert Clancy @ 2010-11-22  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7458

Thanks for that. When I set
ns-right-command-modifier
to meta, Emacs correctly interprets commands like:
M-v
but if I try to use a command like C-M-v, Emacs says:
<C-M-268632086> is undefined.
I presume that OSX is still catching the command key although Emacs
can interpret it as meta.

If I set ns-command-modifier to meta I do not have this problem.

Also, if I set ns-right-control-modifier to meta, Emacs does not
interpret right control correctly. That is it inteprets
<right control>-v as C-v
and
C-<right control>-v as C-v
when ns-right-control-modifier is set to meta.

Thanks,
Rob

       [not found]       ` <4CECC45E.2070009@swipnet.se>
@ 2010-11-24  8:58         ` Robert Clancy
From: Robert Clancy @ 2010-11-24  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: 7458

Now when I try to use right command as meta, emacs always picks it up
as meta+super and OSX catches it. So I have errors like:
M-s-x	when I press <right-command>-x
and
<C-M-s-268632086> is undefined when I press C-<right-command>-v

However, if I set ns-command-modifier to nil (as opposed to super),
everything appears to work correctly.

Rob

@ 2010-11-24 14:53           ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-11-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Clancy; +Cc: 7458

New fix checked in.  I think we are getting there, but slowly...

	Jan D.

@ 2010-11-24 15:52             ` Robert Clancy
From: Robert Clancy @ 2010-11-24 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: 7458

It seems to work perfectly now.

Thanks very much for that, its made my Emacs experience a lot more
enjoyable.

Rob