all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized
@ 2006-07-11 20:46 Tsu Dho Nimh
From: Tsu Dho Nimh @ 2006-07-11 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded and installed emacs for Windows,
emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz from the GNU site, according to the FAQ
for Windows.  The installation seems to be working in that I can
create, open, edit, and save files.  But the real reason I installed it
was to run dissociated-press and that isn't working.

There are two files named dissociated in the \lisp\play directory, but
I can't get them to run.

emacs does not run the shell commands, such as M-x dissociated-press or
M-x fo.  When I try, I get this error:  'M-x' is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

SYSTEM:
OS Win2K, AMD chip, 256MB RAM ... nothing fancy, and it's a stable
machine.

1 - Is there something emacs needs before it can run the shell commands
- perhaps something that was not included in the file I downloaded
because it's rare for the usual emacs user to not have it?

2 - Is there a configuration setting somewhere that would make
dissociated-press appear on a menu like the games do (I'm a
pointy-click Windows person because I'm a lousy typist). Anything on a
menu runs as expected.

* Re: dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized
@ 2006-07-11 22:00 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4001.1152655209.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-11 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.07.2006 um 22:46 schrieb Tsu Dho Nimh:

> emacs does not run the shell commands, such as M-x dissociated-
> press or
> M-x fo.  When I try, I get this error:  'M-x' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

How do you type this 'M-x'?

Why do you write of "shell commands?"

--
Greetings

   Pete

"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me."

@ 2006-07-11 22:38   ` Tsu Dho Nimh
From: Tsu Dho Nimh @ 2006-07-11 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 11.07.2006 um 22:46 schrieb Tsu Dho Nimh:
>
> > emacs does not run the shell commands, such as M-x dissociated-
> > press or
> > M-x fo.  When I try, I get this error:  'M-x' is not recognized as an
> > internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
>
> How do you type this 'M-x'?

>From the tools menu, I select the menu item called Shell Command, and
in the small box at the bottom of the GUI I type this:  M-x
disassociated-press

and the error comes back as this:'M-x' is not recognized as an internal
or external command, operable program or batch file.

> Why do you write of "shell commands?"

Because that's what the GUI calls them.

@ 2006-07-12  1:48     ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2006-07-12  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tsu Dho Nimh" <abacaxi@hotmail.com> writes:

> From the tools menu, I select the menu item called Shell Command,
> and in the small box at the bottom of the GUI I type this:  M-x
> disassociated-press
>
> and the error comes back as this:'M-x' is not recognized as an internal
> or external command, operable program or batch file.

You should read the manual.  "M-x" is short for meta-x.  The way you
key it is either to key x with the ALT shift, or to key ESC x.  Then
you get a prompt, at which you can type "dissociated-press" (N.B. not
"disassociated") or any of a number of other things.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Failure teaches a valuable lesson: that we are liable to  :||
||:  fail again.                                               :||

* Re: dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized
@ 2006-07-12  8:40     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.07.2006 um 00:38 schrieb Tsu Dho Nimh:

>> Why do you write of "shell commands?"
>
> Because that's what the GUI calls them.

A shell command is a programme that runs in its own little shell
outside of GNU Emacs. Emacs then opens a buffer, *Shell Command
Output*, that contains the output from the "shell command." In MS
Windows command.com or such would be launched to run inside xcopy or
ipconfig or whatever there exists as "shell commands."

Dissociated-press is kind of a "built-in" programme in GNU Emacs.
It's written in Lisp and needs Emacs as interpreter. To start these
built-in programmes you invoke them with M-x, which means that you
either press the "Meta" key and the x key at the same time or you
press Esc and then x. Then the mini-buffer shows a prompt and you can
give it a built-in programme's name ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."

@ 2006-07-19 14:41 ` Martin Jost
From: Martin Jost @ 2006-07-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

front note:
I myself use emacs almost completely on HPUX (10.20) and on GNU/Linux. So I have very little experience with emacs on windows. (Although I have used it rarely)

"Tsu Dho Nimh" <abacaxi@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1152650788.552714.322530@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
> I downloaded and installed emacs for Windows,
> emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz from the GNU site, according to the FAQ
> for Windows.  The installation seems to be working in that I can
> create, open, edit, and save files.  But the real reason I installed it
> was to run dissociated-press and that isn't working.
>
> There are two files named dissociated in the \lisp\play directory, but
> I can't get them to run.
>
> emacs does not run the shell commands, such as M-x dissociated-press or
> M-x fo.  When I try, I get this error:  'M-x' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
>
> SYSTEM:
> OS Win2K, AMD chip, 256MB RAM ... nothing fancy, and it's a stable
> machine.
>
> 1 - Is there something emacs needs before it can run the shell commands
> - perhaps something that was not included in the file I downloaded
> because it's rare for the usual emacs user to not have it?

A horrible thought comes up ... do you try to start the emacs files with extension .el on the command prompt of windows (cmd.exe) ?
This won't work !
All the .el-files are meant to be run _inside_ emacs itself.

- Start emacs (There should be a emacs.exe; I guess it is also to be found in the Start-menu)
  It seems you already succeded in doing this.
- Inside emacs load the file you want to dissociate (There should be a menu entry for this)
  It seems also you already succeded in doing this.
- then type
  <ESC>x dissociated-press
  (Meaning "The Esc-key, followed by the key x, followed by the string"; M (Meta) is usually mapped to the ESC-key on windows)
- this should give you the "dissociated " text in a new buffer

If this doesn't work, there should be a Help/Tutorial menu to teach you the basics.
And yes, sorry emacs has a rather steep learning curve - but it pays back very nicely when you've "got it".

> 2 - Is there a configuration setting somewhere that would make
> dissociated-press appear on a menu like the games do (I'm a
> pointy-click Windows person because I'm a lousy typist). Anything on a
> menu runs as expected.

No not for the commands to be run inside emacs. At least not without a big bunch of hackery.

HTH

Martin