all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Chars escape-quoted in RMAIL files saved from gnus
@ 2008-04-27 22:13 Scott Heftler
       [not found] ` <mailman.10864.1209336597.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Scott Heftler @ 2008-04-27 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Well, I can open files saved in `gnus-summary-save-in-rmail' format,
but many characters get escape-quoted, such as the elipsis character
`...', which I see as \205.

So what coding system variable do I need to change so that my saved
files can be read in prteey RMAIL mode but do not have ascii chars >
127 escaped out?

Thanks in advance.

-- Scott

* Re: Chars escape-quoted in RMAIL files saved from gnus
@ 2008-04-27 22:49 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.10864.1209336597.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Heftler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.04.2008 um 00:13 schrieb Scott Heftler:

> So what coding system variable do I need

windows-1250, windows-1251, windows-1252

--
Greetings

   Pete

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

@ 2008-04-27 22:59   ` Scott Heftler
From: Scott Heftler @ 2008-04-27 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, Pete, these are the CS symbols I assign to some variable; but
which one?  There are so many CS variables in emacs, including special
alists for gnus and for mm, rmail, etc.  To which one in particular do
I make the assignment?

@ 2008-04-27 23:30   ` Scott Heftler
From: Scott Heftler @ 2008-04-27 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, so the windows-1252 ellipses display nicely in a RMAIL-mode file
saved via `gnus-summary-save-in-rmail' when I run
`universal-coding-system-argument' via C -x RET c windows-1252.  But
SURELY there must be a way to automate this.  So I put these in my
init file:

(prefer-coding-system 'windows-1252)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

This makes sure utf-8 is top pick, and windowsw-1252 is second.

You'd think that, when emacs encounters these \205s, it would KNOW to
pick windows-1252.  But it doesn't.  Is there no way to AUTOMATE
emacs' pick of coding system?

@ 2008-04-28  8:38     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-28  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Heftler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.04.2008 um 01:30 schrieb Scott Heftler:

> You'd think that, when emacs encounters these \205s, it would KNOW to
> pick windows-1252.  But it doesn't.  Is there no way to AUTOMATE
> emacs' pick of coding system?

It's possible to use (file) local variables. In the file's header,
first line I think, something like

	;; -*- mode: Emacs-Lisp; coding: utf-8; -*-

or at the file's end

	%%% Local Variables:
	%%% mode: latex
	%%% TeX-master: t
	%%% coding: utf-8-unix
	%%% TeX-command-default: "XeLaTeX"
	%%% End:

you can set a few parameters of operation. Depending on which file
type(s) is easier to manipulate by these means you can leave out one
encoding preference. Something like this might also work (I think I
once had this active):

	;;(setq file-coding-system-alist
	;;  (append
	;;    '(("\\.tex\\'" iso-latin-9-unix . iso-latin-9-unix))
	;;    file-coding-system-alist))

	;(modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.tex\\'" 'iso-latin-9-unix)

Or you can decide to reduce the number of encodings you use.
Sometimes less pluralism can be more.

--
Greetings

   Pete