all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?
@ 2009-08-05 14:43 Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-08-05 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

has anyone been able to set up dictionary and thesaurus on Windows,
along with required tools? Would you share your configuration?

Thanks.

* Re: Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?
@ 2009-08-05 15:34 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-08-05 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 Ago, 14:43, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anyone been able to set up dictionary and thesaurus on Windows,
> along with required tools? Would you share your configuration?
>
> Thanks.

Well, I've found this very useful page:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_lookup_ref.html

Thanks, Xah!

Client written in Emacs Lisp:

http://www.myrkr.in-berlin.de/dictionary/index.html

Thanks Torsten!

As server, this one works out of the box (Java is required):

http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~duc/Java/JDictd/

Thanks Ho!

* RE: Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?
@ 2009-08-05 15:44 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-05 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Elena', help-gnu-emacs

> has anyone been able to set up dictionary and thesaurus on Windows,
> along with required tools? Would you share your configuration?

There are various solutions described on Emacs Wiki, depending on what you want
(everything within Emacs locally vs Emacs accessing something on the Web, for
instance).

Here is one wiki page that deals with thesauri and has links to related pages:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ThesauriAndSynonyms

* Re: Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?
@ 2009-09-07 14:24 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-09-07 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here I am again, since I've not been able to setup a dictionary on
Windows.

Does someone care to share his/her configuration?

Thanks

@ 2009-09-07 15:51   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6171.1252338859.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-09-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Elena; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ah, didn't someone answer you? Please check EmacsWiki first.

@ 2009-09-07 15:53   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6171.1252338859.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-09-07 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Elena', help-gnu-emacs

> Here I am again, since I've not been able to setup a dictionary on
> Windows. Does someone care to share his/her configuration?
> >
> > has anyone been able to set updictionaryand thesaurus on Windows,
> > along with required tools? Would you share your configuration?

Look here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWriting

@ 2009-09-07 18:09     ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-09-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7 Set, 17:53, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Look here:http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWriting

Thank you again, Drew.

I should have been more specific. I did check the Wiki following your
previous advice and I managed to setup the whole thing on Linux, but
on Windows I've not been able to setup the 'dict' server. Since on
Linux the package manager took care of installing 'dict' server and
dictionaries, I don't know how to repeat steps on Windows.

* Re: Windows: setting up dictionary and thesaurus?
@ 2009-09-08 11:31       ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-09-08 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7 Set, 18:09, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Set, 17:53, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > Look here:http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWriting
>
> Thank you again, Drew.
>
> I should have been more specific. I did check the Wiki following your
> previous advice and I managed to setup the whole thing on Linux, but
> on Windows I've not been able to setup the 'dict' server. Since on
> Linux the package manager took care of installing 'dict' server and
> dictionaries, I don't know how to repeat steps on Windows.

After much wrestling with various 'dict' servers, without any success,
I've found an alternative solution which employs WordNet's dictionary.
Warning: it behaves weirdly with Icicles ('icy-mode').

Here we go:
- download WordNet dictionary setup from here:

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/download/

- add binaries folder to exec-path and enviroment PATH (adjust paths
according to your own installation):

(setq exec-path (append exec-path "C:/Programmi/WordNet/2.1/bin"))
(setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\Programmi\\WordNet\\2.1\\bin" path-
separator (getenv "PATH")))

- download http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/wn-org.el:

(require 'wn-org)

- ready to go: M-x wn-org-search