all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Automatically turn off a default minor mode for a particular file?
@ 2009-07-16  8:37 dnquark
From: dnquark @ 2009-07-16  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
Is there a way to automatically turn off a minor mode (that's enabled
by default) on a per file basis -- through file local variables
perhaps?..

I often work in Matlab and have mlint (automatic syntax checker)
enabled by default -- however, I need it off in certain files (it
screws up, make things unreadable, and sometimes doesn't play well
with the folding mode).  Now, I know you could *enable* a minor mode
through file-local-variables, but is there a way to disable/toggle
it?..
Thanks!

* Re: Automatically turn off a default minor mode for a particular file?
@ 2009-07-16  9:06 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-16  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: dnquark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.07.2009 um 10:37 schrieb dnquark:

> Now, I know you could *enable* a minor mode
> through file-local-variables, but is there a way to disable/toggle
> it?..

You could try a form like:

	eval: (<some Elisp code>)

--
Greetings

   Pete

If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the
entire catalogue.
	–  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897

* Re: Automatically turn off a default minor mode for a particular file?
@ 2009-07-17  5:59 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-07-17  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dnquark wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there a way to automatically turn off a minor mode (that's enabled
> by default) on a per file basis -- through file local variables
> perhaps?..
>
> I often work in Matlab and have mlint (automatic syntax checker)
> enabled by default -- however, I need it off in certain files (it
> screws up, make things unreadable, and sometimes doesn't play well
> with the folding mode).  Now, I know you could *enable* a minor mode
> through file-local-variables, but is there a way to disable/toggle
> it?..

I'm not familiar with Matlab or its Emacs interface, but:

(1) Is mlint useful outside of the the major mode you use to edit Matlab
     files?

(2) Because if not, why enable mlint globally (by default, as you say)
     when you could just enable it on the appropriate major mode hook?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA