all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell:  how to alias cp 'cp -i'  ?
@ 2007-09-04 19:18 furue
       [not found] ` <mailman.329.1188952757.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: furue @ 2007-09-04 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm new to eshell and am wondering how to alias
"cp" to "cp -i".  As a first step, I tried this:

  ~ $ alias tmpcp 'cp -i'
  ~ $ tmpcp tmp.eps tmp2.eps
  cp: missing destination file or directory
  ~ $

I don't find a/the documentation (the info page
on the eshell alias is empty on my system, which
is emacs22 on the testing distribution of Debian),
or I fail to find a solution in the archive of this group
(the lastest posting which is more or less relevent
is dated 2001 or so).

I don't insist on aliases.  Something like

    (defun cp (args)  (builtin-cp -i args))

would do, too.  (I'm a lisp newbie, too, so
I'm sure that the code above is wrong.)

Thank you,
Ryo

* Re: eshell:  how to alias cp 'cp -i'  ?
@ 2007-09-05  0:36 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.329.1188952757.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-09-05  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:18:52 -0700 furue@hawaii.edu wrote:

> I'm new to eshell and am wondering how to alias
> "cp" to "cp -i".  As a first step, I tried this:

I have the line

alias mp mplayer $*

in the file ~/.eshell/alias and it seems to be working.  But I forget
how the line ended up there.  Just manually adding should work.

David

* Re: eshell:  how to alias cp 'cp -i'  ?
       [not found] ` <mailman.329.1188952757.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-05 19:46   ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2007-09-05 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:18:52 -0700 furue@hawaii.edu wrote:
>
>> I'm new to eshell and am wondering how to alias
>> "cp" to "cp -i".  As a first step, I tried this:
>
> I have the line
>
> alias mp mplayer $*
>
> in the file ~/.eshell/alias and it seems to be working.  But I forget
> how the line ended up there.  Just manually adding should work.
>
> David

I have the following alias defined:

alias l 'ls -la $*'

This allows to issue commands like
l e*

I tried the following:
alias tcp 'cp -i $*'

But this didn't work. That is probably an emacs bug.

When you only want to copy one file to a destination, you can use the following:
alias tcp 'cp -i $1 $2'

Stefan.

* Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
@ 2007-09-05 23:45     ` furue
From: furue @ 2007-09-05 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 884 bytes --]

On Sep 5, 9:46 am, Stefan Reichör <ste...@xsteve.at> wrote:
> David Hansen <david.han...@gmx.net> writes:
> > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:18:52 -0700 fu...@hawaii.edu wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I tried the following:
> alias tcp 'cp -i $*'
>
> But this didn't work. That is probably an emacs bug.

Thank you, David and Stefan, for the responses.
I thought I posted a replay yesterday, but it doesn't appear
here.  (Probably I hit the "Discard" button instead of the "Send".)

Anyway, my experience is the same.  Alias to 'cp -i $*' doesn't
work for me, either.  My tentative solution is

  alias cp /bin/cp -i $*

which works.  This is asthetically incorrect because it doesn't
use eshell's builtin cp.

I'm also wondering where I can find documentations of eshell.
I want/need to learn more, such as "for" loop and "if" constructs
and function definition.

Cheers,
Ryo

* Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
@ 2007-09-06 16:13       ` Edward O'Connor
       [not found]       ` <mailman.424.1189095248.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2007-09-06 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm also wondering where I can find documentations of eshell. I
> want/need to learn more, such as "for" loop and "if" constructs and
> function definition.

There's lots of great material on Eshell on the EmacsWiki:

          http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryEshell

Your questions about for loops and functions might be answered on these
pages:

          http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EshellForLoop
         http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EshellFunctions

While your aliasing problem might be covered here:

           http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EshellAlias

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.424.1189095248.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-07  7:05         ` furue
From: furue @ 2007-09-07  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-09-07  7:24         ` furue
From: furue @ 2007-09-07  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oh no, I sent out a reply without my comments added.
That was my first attempt post from this queer browser
(w3m) and didn't know how to edit the text box.  Sorry.

Edward O'Connor wrote:
> > I'm also wondering where I can find documentations of eshell. I
> > want/need to learn more, such as "for" loop and "if" constructs and
> > function definition.
>
> There's lots of great material on Eshell on the EmacsWiki:

Wow, that's a good source of information.  Thank you!

Unfortunately the problem of aliasing "cp -i" isn't mentioned
in the EshellAlias section.  There was a page unrelated
to alias that talks about Lisp variables which make cp, mv, etc.
ask before overwriting.  This is one solution as long as
concerning those commands.

Regards,
Ryo

* Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.424.1189095248.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-07 21:44       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.479.1189201469.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: furue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 01:45 schrieb furue@hawaii.edu:

> My tentative solution is
>
>   alias cp /bin/cp -i $*
>
> which works.  This is asthetically incorrect because it doesn't
> use eshell's builtin cp.

Have you read about the variable eshell-cp-interactive-query?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." – Evan
Esar

* Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.479.1189201469.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-07 22:08         ` furue
From: furue @ 2007-09-07 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 06.09.2007 um 01:45 schrieb furue@hawaii.edu:
>
> > My tentative solution is
> >
> >   alias cp /bin/cp -i $*
> >
> > which works.  This is asthetically incorrect because it doesn't
> > use eshell's builtin cp.
>
> Have you read about the variable eshell-cp-interactive-query?

Thanks.  Yes, I read it.  That was what I meant in my last posting
by the Lisp variable that changes the behavior of cp.  According
to the Emacs Wiki, the following setting

  (setq eshell-cp-interactive-query t)

should work.  (I haven't tested it.)  Probably I'll switch to
this solution soon, but I'm now looking for the ways to store
this kind of Lisp expressions.  I can write them in ~/.emacs ,
but I don't want to clutter it too much.  I imagine that
~/.eshell/startup.el, ~/.emacs-eshell.el, or some such file
is read when eshell starts up.  I'm reading the Wiki and other
documentations, trying to find it.

Regards,
Ryo

* Re: eshell: how to alias cp 'cp -i' ?
@ 2007-09-07 23:08           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-07 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: furue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.09.2007 um 00:08 schrieb furue@hawaii.edu:

> I imagine that ~/.eshell/startup.el, ~/.emacs-eshell.el, or some
> such file is read when eshell starts up.

~/.eshell/login AFAIK. I never used this feature ... (I still prefer
the *shell* buffer)

Besides there are hundreds of eshell-what-so-ever variables. There
surely is one that determines the login file.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?