all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-25 10:23 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-25 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

https://www.fsf.org/resources/service

27 hits for "emacs"!

And hear:

"100 EUR per hour"

"Rates: $100-$150 USD"

"His rates vary from $150 to $600 USD.
Of course this depends on the nature of
the project."

Well, that's so obvious one has to wonder why
he even takes his time to say it?!

But this is the best:

    Your Rate: $75-$100/hour (750-1000 SEK in
    sweden), plus expenses. My rates are
    negotiable, depending on how interesting
    the project is to me.

My my, the degree of generosity is just
mind-boggling :D

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-25 10:54 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2018-01-25 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-25 11:14 Pierpaolo Bernardi
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi @ 2018-01-25 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Uh?  What's the problem?

The snippets you quote look perfectly reasonable offers. My mind is not boggled at all.

@ 2018-01-25 13:51 ` Ben Bacarisse
From: Ben Bacarisse @ 2018-01-25 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> https://www.fsf.org/resources/service
>
> 27 hits for "emacs"!
>
> And hear:
>
> "100 EUR per hour"
>
> "Rates: $100-$150 USD"
>
> "His rates vary from $150 to $600 USD.
> Of course this depends on the nature of
> the project."
>
> Well, that's so obvious one has to wonder why
> he even takes his time to say it?!
>
> But this is the best:
>
>     Your Rate: $75-$100/hour (750-1000 SEK in
>     sweden), plus expenses. My rates are
>     negotiable, depending on how interesting
>     the project is to me.
>
> My my, the degree of generosity is just
> mind-boggling :D

OK, I see the smilie, so maybe you are not being serious, but I don't
even see anything amusing here, much less anything to get het up about.
What's the purpose of your post?

--
Ben.

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-25 16:03   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> OK, I see the smilie, so maybe you are not
> being serious, but I don't even see anything
> amusing here, much less anything to get het
> up about. What's the purpose of your post?

Don't you think there are better things to do
with 600 US bucks than to pay someone else to
do something with Emacs *for one hour*, that
you can do yourself just as good with the free
of charge support offered here, on the SX site,
#emacs, your own brain, etc.?

--

@ 2018-01-25 16:59     ` James K. Lowden
From: James K. Lowden @ 2018-01-25 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 17:03:39 +0100
Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
> > OK, I see the smilie, so maybe you are not
> > being serious, but I don't even see anything
> > amusing here, much less anything to get het
> > up about. What's the purpose of your post?
>
> Don't you think there are better things to do
> with 600 US bucks than to pay someone else to
> do something with Emacs *for one hour*, that
> you can do yourself just as good with the free
> of charge support offered here, on the SX site,
> #emacs, your own brain, etc.?

In the first place, you're right, sort of.  It's hard to imagine the
market for emacs programming is nonzero.  Which emacs user isn't
already a programmer, and is inclined to spend money to have it
configured to his liking?

In the second place, $600/hr is pure fantasy.  I'm sure he gets it,
except that billed hours to date are zero.

Specialized consultant programmers in New York City sometimes pull down
$200/hr or so, on projects worth millions.  Usually $150/hr is a
stretch.  $600 is just comical.

--jkl

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-25 18:23       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-25 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

James K. Lowden wrote:

> In the first place, you're right, sort of.
> It's hard to imagine the market for emacs
> programming is nonzero. Which emacs user
> isn't already a programmer, and is inclined
> to spend money to have it configured to
> his liking?

The people who use Emacs but "aren't
programmers", those people aren't programmers
simply because they didn't take it in that
direction, whatever good reason they might have
for not doing so. Holly would if she could, but
to them it is the other way around.

I have as much respect for them as I do the
"Emacs programmers", because it means they do
something else with it.

Most certainly, they are not the people who
make the offer "make sense".

--

@ 2018-01-25 20:59     ` Ben Bacarisse
From: Ben Bacarisse @ 2018-01-25 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>> OK, I see the smilie, so maybe you are not
>> being serious, but I don't even see anything
>> amusing here, much less anything to get het
>> up about. What's the purpose of your post?
>
> Don't you think there are better things to do
> with 600 US bucks than to pay someone else to
> do something with Emacs *for one hour*, that
> you can do yourself just as good with the free
> of charge support offered here, on the SX site,
> #emacs, your own brain, etc.?

I'm hardly typical and not at all the target market for anyone on the
page you cited.  I am retired (and have the luxury of time) and I've
been programming in Lisp, off and on, for 40 years (and thus have the
required skills) so, no, I would not pay $600 for an hour of someone
else's programming time.

I'm still puzzled by your post.  The rates or the wording or something
obviously bugs you but I can't see what.  The fact the neither you nor I
would pay for Emacs programming is surely not it.

--
Ben.

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-26  3:18       ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2018-01-26  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 2:29:38 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> I'm still puzzled by your post.  The rates or the wording or something
> obviously bugs you but I can't see what.

It is natural to visualize that the open source/free software revolution will
destroy everything in sight… if the brain has been pickled by an education
funded by economic/business interests…

This may help clarify:
https://content.cultureandempire.com/

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-26  8:01         ` tomas
       [not found]         ` <mailman.8003.1516957438.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2018-01-26  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: everybody STOP ANSWERING QUESTIONS
@ 2018-01-26 12:33         ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.8003.1516957438.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi wrote:

> It is natural to visualize that the open
> source/free software revolution will destroy
> everything in sight

Really? That'd be great only I need to print my
.emacs before it happens as we spent so much
time together.

--

@ 2018-01-26 14:28           ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2018-01-26 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 2:34:01 PM UTC+5:30, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 07:18:17PM -0800, Rusi wrote:
> > On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 2:29:38 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> > > I'm still puzzled by your post.  The rates or the wording or something
> > > obviously bugs you but I can't see what.
> >
> > It is natural to visualize that the open source/free software revolution will
> > destroy everything in sight… if the brain has been pickled by an education
> > funded by economic/business interests…
> >
> > This may help clarify:
> > https://content.cultureandempire.com/
>
> Somewhat ironically, what I see is a link "Save to Kindle" which
> (unsurprisingly) points to... Amazon.

Browser problem??

Both in firefox and on an android phone, the main pane shows the kindle as you
see and the left pane shows the chapters of the book [Creative Commons if I remember right… can't find the link right now… And the author is dead]

Anyways… the preface is here
https://content.cultureandempire.com/preface.html
which describes the idea of 'cost gravity'
which is why I linked to it in the current discussion's context