all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* improper display of multibyte characters
@ 2009-11-07  1:56 Ron Peterson (012ED25E)
       [not found] ` <mailman.10214.1257593196.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ron Peterson (012ED25E) @ 2009-11-07  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm doing some dev work on my laptop running Kubuntu.  My compilation
window is not displaying multibyte characters correctly.
Specifically, the output I should be seeing is e.g. ')', but I see
instead â\200\230)â\200\231.  (My example single quotes should be left
and right quotes..)

All of my other debian boxes work just fine, but Kubuntu on my laptop
makes me want to scream right now.  My display table is nil on all
machines.  What is going on here?

* Re: improper display of multibyte characters
@ 2009-11-07 11:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.10214.1257593196.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm doing some dev work on my laptop running Kubuntu.  My compilation
> window is not displaying multibyte characters correctly.
> Specifically, the output I should be seeing is e.g. ')', but I see
> instead â\200\230)â\200\231.  (My example single quotes should be left
> and right quotes..)
>
> All of my other debian boxes work just fine, but Kubuntu on my laptop
> makes me want to scream right now.  My display table is nil on all
> machines.  What is going on here?

What version of Emacs is that?

In any case, I suggest to compare the values of these environment
variables on the systems that work and the one which doesn't: LC_ALL,
LC_MESSAGES, LC_CTYPE, and LANG; and the values of the variable
locale-coding-system inside Emacs.  That should give you a hint about
what's going on.

@ 2009-11-07 13:16   ` Ron Peterson (012ED25E)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10228.1257614562.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ron Peterson (012ED25E) @ 2009-11-07 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 7, 6:23 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > I'm doing some dev work on my laptop running Kubuntu.  My compilation
> > window is not displaying multibyte characters correctly.
> > Specifically, the output I should be seeing is e.g. ')', but I see
> > instead â\200\230)â\200\231.  (My example single quotes should be left
> > and right quotes..)
>
> > All of my other debian boxes work just fine, but Kubuntu on my laptop
> > makes me want to scream right now.  My display table is nil on all
> > machines.  What is going on here?
>
> What version of Emacs is that?
>
> In any case, I suggest to compare the values of these environment
> variables on the systems that work and the one which doesn't: LC_ALL,
> LC_MESSAGES, LC_CTYPE, and LANG; and the values of the variable
> locale-coding-system inside Emacs.  That should give you a hint about
> what's going on.

Thanks!  That's it.  I had LC_ALL set to en_US.utf8 on the system that
wasn't working, whereas it was set to C everywhere else.  Now the
question is: how much do I care about why using unicode interferes
with the display of multibyte characters?  If anyone knows, I guess
I'd like to know, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

* Re: improper display of multibyte characters
@ 2009-11-07 17:20     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10228.1257614562.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-07 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Ron Peterson (012ED25E)" <peterson.ron@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 05:16:30 -0800 (PST)
>
> Thanks!  That's it.  I had LC_ALL set to en_US.utf8 on the system that
> wasn't working, whereas it was set to C everywhere else.  Now the
> question is: how much do I care about why using unicode interferes
> with the display of multibyte characters?

It shouldn't, at least not with the latest Emacs.

@ 2009-11-07 18:06       ` Ron Peterson (012ED25E)
From: Ron Peterson (012ED25E) @ 2009-11-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 7, 12:20 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: "Ron Peterson (012ED25E)" <peterson....@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 05:16:30 -0800 (PST)
>
> > Thanks!  That's it.  I had LC_ALL set to en_US.utf8 on the system that
> > wasn't working, whereas it was set to C everywhere else.  Now the
> > question is: how much do I care about why using unicode interferes
> > with the display of multibyte characters?
>
> It shouldn't, at least not with the latest Emacs.

I'm using Emacs 22.2

Anyway, everything is working now.  Thanks again.