all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Syntax highlighting for eshell scripts?
@ 2024-08-25  6:46 the_wurfkreuz
From: the_wurfkreuz @ 2024-08-25  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Considering new recent additions to eshell syntax and the ability to run eshell scripts using the batch mode, maybe it makes sense to introduce some sort of a highlighting mode for writing eshell as a scripting language?

* Re: Syntax highlighting for eshell scripts?
@ 2024-09-04 20:29 ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2024-09-04 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: the_wurfkreuz, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On 8/24/2024 11:46 PM, the_wurfkreuz wrote:
> Considering new recent additions to eshell syntax and the ability to run
> eshell scripts using the batch mode, maybe it makes sense to introduce
> some sort of a highlighting mode for writing eshell as a scripting language?

Yeah, this would be a nice feature (bonus if it fontifies the command
entered at an interpreter prompt too). I wonder if it would be feasible
to use the existing Eshell parser to help with fontification too; unlike
a lot of other major modes, Eshell already has a full parser for its
language in Emacs.

That might necessitate a big refactor of the Eshell parser (so that it
more cleanly splits out parsing and codegen), but that could also be
useful for improving some of the annoying corner cases in the existing
grammar.