all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fixed compilation buffer in emacs 23
@ 2009-08-14 21:41 Ritchie
       [not found] ` <mailman.4618.1250329137.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ritchie @ 2009-08-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm wondering if there is a way to make the compilation buffer to be
fixed in one frame.

I usually like to open 2-3 frames while coding, and one of the frame
is for displaying compilation output. With 22.3 if I try to compile in
a frame where the compilation window is not displaying, it will
automatically switch to the frame that has the window displaying,
while with 23.1 it will make one of the windows in the current frame
switch to the compilation buffer.

Is there a way to make 23 behave the way 22 does?

Thank you

* Re: fixed compilation buffer in emacs 23
@ 2009-08-15  9:38 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4618.1250329137.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-15  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ritchie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.08.2009 um 23:41 schrieb Ritchie:

> Is there a way to make 23 behave the way 22 does?

Maybe this:

Special Buffer Frames
=====================

    You can make certain chosen buffers, for which Emacs normally
creates
a second window when you have just one window, appear in special frames
of their own.  To do this, set the variable
`special-display-buffer-names' to a list of buffer names; any buffer
whose name is in that list automatically gets a special frame, when an
Emacs command wants to display it "in another window."

    For example, if you set the variable this way,

      (setq special-display-buffer-names
            '("*Completions*" "*grep*" "*tex-shell*"))

then completion lists, `grep' output and the TeX mode shell buffer get
individual frames of their own.  These frames, and the windows in them,
are never automatically split or reused for any other buffers.  They
continue to show the buffers they were created for, unless you alter
them by hand.  Killing the special buffer deletes its frame
automatically.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
				– Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

@ 2009-08-15 12:01   ` Ritchie
From: Ritchie @ 2009-08-15 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Though this does not behave the same way 22 does, it's surely even
better than it. This is actually the way I originally wanted.

Thanks a lot, Pete.

* Re: fixed compilation buffer in emacs 23
@ 2009-08-15 12:18 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-08-15 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ritchiecai; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I'm wondering if there is a way to make the compilation buffer to be
 > fixed in one frame.
 >
 > I usually like to open 2-3 frames while coding, and one of the frame
 > is for displaying compilation output. With 22.3 if I try to compile in
 > a frame where the compilation window is not displaying, it will
 > automatically switch to the frame that has the window displaying,
 > while with 23.1 it will make one of the windows in the current frame
 > switch to the compilation buffer.
 >
 > Is there a way to make 23 behave the way 22 does?

Would setting `display-buffer-reuse-frames' to a non-nil value handle
this?

martin

* Re: fixed compilation buffer in emacs 23
       [not found] <mailman.4626.1250338726.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-15 21:41 ` Ritchie
From: Ritchie @ 2009-08-15 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Would setting `display-buffer-reuse-frames' to a non-nil value handle
> this?

This will make the compilation buffer behave the way I wanted too,
however, it will change the behavior of the other buffers, such as,
*grep*, *completion*, etc.
I really appreciate your help, but I think I'll stick with Pete's
method, that's perfect for me.

Ritchie

@ 2009-08-17  6:07   ` Kiwon Um
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4784.1250499184.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-08-17  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 15, 6:38 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 14.08.2009 um 23:41 schrieb Ritchie:
>
> > Is there a way to make 23 behave the way 22 does?
>
> Maybe this:
>
> Special Buffer Frames
> =====================
>
>     You can make certain chosen buffers, for which Emacs normally
> creates
> a second window when you have just one window, appear in special frames
> of their own.  To do this, set the variable
> `special-display-buffer-names' to a list of buffer names; any buffer
> whose name is in that list automatically gets a special frame, when an
> Emacs command wants to display it "in another window."
>
>     For example, if you set the variable this way,
>
>       (setq special-display-buffer-names
>             '("*Completions*" "*grep*" "*tex-shell*"))

Then, this makes different frames corresponding to each special
buffer, e.g. one frame for the *compilation* buffer and the other
frame for the *cscope* buffer.

Is there any way to group these frames to one or customized sets?

* Re: fixed compilation buffer in emacs 23
@ 2009-08-17  8:52     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4784.1250499184.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-17  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiwon Um; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.08.2009 um 08:07 schrieb Kiwon Um:

> Is there any way to group these frames to one or customized sets?

When you "group the frames" you get one frame with many windows.

--
Greetings

   Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone.
				– Amiri Baraka, 1999

@ 2009-08-17 11:44       ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-08-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 17, 5:52 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 17.08.2009 um 08:07 schrieb Kiwon Um:
>
> > Is there any way to group these frames to one or customized sets?
>
> When you "group the frames" you get one frame with many windows.

How can I group those buffers? Could you give me a simple example,
please?
I just set as follows:
(setq special-display-buffer-names '("*compilation*" "*cscope*"))
(setq special-display-regexps '(("\*.* output\*")))

* Re: fixed compilation buffer in emacs 23
@ 2009-08-17 14:18         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kiwon Um; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.08.2009 um 13:44 schrieb Kiwon Um:

> How can I group those buffers? Could you give me a simple example,

*I* have no idea, I don't use this feature. It should be easy to try
to find an useful setup by writing minimal Elisp and launching GNU
Emacs as in

	emacs -Q -l <the Elisp file> &

and observe progress. Finally migrate the test code to your init file.

--
Greetings

   Pete