all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* site-lisp directory
@ 2005-04-01 13:09 Jay Cotton
From: Jay Cotton @ 2005-04-01 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying a newer emacs for OS X that I found here:

http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html

And it had a strange behavior which has prompted this message. While
emacs was starting up, and loading all the packages and so forth from
my .emacs file, everything went fine until the very end. At the end,
the window would suddenly enlarge and the font would get bigger, and
then it would finish loading. In other words, something was overriding
my customizations (I purposefully have the default frame and font very
small).

I poked around and found the culprit in a directory called site-start.d
inside the site-lisp directory. Here's the code that was causing the
problem until I commented it out:

   ;; Osaka 12
   (require 'carbon-font)
   (set-default-font "fontset-osaka12")
   (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "fontset-osaka12"))

I've heard of the site-start file, and so it doesn't surprise me that
there would be a site-start directory as well. My question is this:
shouldn't the customizations that I have in my .emacs file override
anything in site-lisp files or directories (not the other way around)?

Thanks for any information.
Jay

* Re: site-lisp directory
@ 2005-04-01 20:48 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.04.2005 um 15:09 schrieb Jay Cotton:

> My question is this: shouldn't the customizations that I have in my
> .emacs file override anything in site-lisp files or directories (not
> the other way around)?

It does! Do you have some fontset settings for default-frame-alist or
initial-frame-alist in your .emacs that are overridden?

The Carbon Emacs 22.0.50 has another set of fontsets defined.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me."