all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Displaying text
@ 2006-10-13 21:22 andrew222
From: andrew222 @ 2006-10-13 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just started to use Emacs even though I hold a degree in Computer Science.
I open a file and Emacs says at the bottom "loading file....done" but I see
no code, no text on the screen.  I read about a text display problem in
Help/Emacs Known Problems.  Can anyone point me in a direction to fix this?

Thank you,

~Andrew

* Re: Displaying text
       [not found] <mailman.8140.1160836882.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-14 15:10 ` Fang lun gang
From: Fang lun gang @ 2006-10-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

It looks like that your files has no any visible chars. Had you open the right
file?

--
Regards,
Fang lun gang

* Re: Displaying text
@ 2006-10-14 15:33 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-10-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

andrew222 <andrew@gonzales.com> writes:

> I just started to use Emacs even though I hold a degree in Computer Science.

Having a degree means that you might be able to read a tutorial ;-)?
In earnest, I can only recommend it very much, please take the little
time to study the interactive Emacs tutorial (C-h t or have a look at
the help menu) it's definitely worth while.

> I open a file and Emacs says at the bottom "loading file....done" but I see
> no code, no text on the screen.  I read about a text display problem in
> Help/Emacs Known Problems.  Can anyone point me in a direction to
> fix this?

into the lisp interpreter.  When you want to edit a file do C-x C-f
(find-file).

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Displaying text
@ 2006-10-14 19:05   ` andrew222
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8153.1160858317.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: andrew222 @ 2006-10-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guest wrote:

> It looks like that your files has no any visible chars. Had you open the
> right
> file?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Fang lun gang

* Re: Displaying text
@ 2006-10-14 19:12     ` andrew222
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8153.1160858317.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: andrew222 @ 2006-10-14 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I figured out what the problem was, there was an issue with the file path, it
was default home/andrew  and I would add in home/andrew/intel/... where all
of my source code is located. I got the source code up on the screen, I then
compiled it and I got this message.  "No targets specified and no makefile
found. Stop
Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Sat Oct 14...".
I can tell I'll have to spend some time reading the Emacs manual and
tutorials.  Most compilers just compile this file with no errors.

Thank you for your help.

~Andrew

andrew222 wrote:

> Guest wrote:
>>
>> It looks like that your files has no any visible chars. Had you open the
>> right
>> file?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Fang lun gang

* Re: Displaying text
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8153.1160858317.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-15 13:14       ` Fang lun gang
From: Fang lun gang @ 2006-10-15 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to the error message, you do not have a makefile in the working directory
of "make".

By default, emacs takes the directory of current buffer as working directory for
any command you issue.

So, you may try either one of the following:
a) M-x compile <ret> make -C /path/to/your/makefile
or
b) open your makefile and call "make" while that buffer is current buffer.

    andrew222> I then compiled it and I
    andrew222> got this message.  "No targets specified and no makefile
    andrew222> found. Stop Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Sat Oct
    andrew222> 14...".  I can tell I'll have to spend some time reading the
    andrew222> Emacs manual and tutorials.  Most compilers just compile this
    andrew222> file with no errors.

    andrew222> Thank you for your help.

    andrew222> ~Andrew

    andrew222> andrew222 wrote:

--
Regards,
Fang lun gang

* Re: Displaying text
@ 2006-10-15 15:23         ` andrew222
From: andrew222 @ 2006-10-15 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much, I will work on that. I really do appreciate your help.