all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Issue with .emacs, files not loading
@ 2008-06-03 14:59 Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2008-06-03 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I used to have everything in one .emacs file.

Now I've split it up into various files for different systems (I use
Mac OS X and GNU/Linux).

This is my .emacs file:

;; Check to see if running on Mac OS X or some GNU/Linux distro
(defvar macosx-p (string-match "darwin" (symbol-name system-type)))
(defvar linux-p (string-match "gnu/linux" (symbol-name system-type)))

;; Load stuff for GNU/Linux systems only
(when linux-p
  (setq load-path (append load-path (list "~/emacs/lisp/linux"))))

;; Load stuff for Mac OS X only
(when macosx-p
  (setq load-path (append load-path (list "~/emacs/lisp/macosx"))))

;; Load OS-independant stuff
(setq load-path (append load-path (list "~/emacs/lisp/generic")))

;; Load extra major modes (to top of load-path so loads first)
(setq load-path (cons "~/emacs/lisp/generic/org" load-path))

Inside ~/emacs/lisp/generic, I have all my settings in my-custom-
generic.el. (Not byte-compiled yet.) I also have several other files.
None of them load. Similar situation with the macosx directory, etc.

The final loading of org-mode does load though, replacing the version
that came with Emacs.

I can't see what I'm doing wrong -- can anyone tell me my stupid
mistake?

Thanks.