all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bad GUI (Monochore), when i compile emacs
@ 2008-12-31  2:42 Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro
From: Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro @ 2008-12-31  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, i am Mario :), i are using Ubuntu GNU/Linux for AMD64.
I have compiled emacs, but the interface seems strange and ugly (See
attachment).
¿Everybody can help me to make the interface as those who appears at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/?
PD: Please excuse my bad english.

[-- Attachment #2: screenshot.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 29902 bytes --]

* Re: Bad GUI (Monochore), when i compile emacs
@ 2008-12-31  9:34 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-12-31  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.12.2008 um 03:42 schrieb Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro:

> I have compiled emacs, but the interface seems strange and ugly

What is strange and what is ugly? What is different when compared to
an Emacs from some Ubuntu package?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs

* Re: Bad GUI (Monochore), when i compile emacs
@ 2008-12-31 10:42 ` B Smith-Mannschott
From: B Smith-Mannschott @ 2008-12-31 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro <
mariocastelancastro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, i am Mario :), i are using Ubuntu GNU/Linux for AMD64.
> I have compiled emacs, but the interface seems strange and ugly (See
> attachment).
> ¿Everybody can help me to make the interface as those who appears at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/?
> PD: Please excuse my bad english.

It looks like you're missing some dependencies or ./configure isn't finding
them for some reason. Take a closer look at the output of ./configure.

The 1-bit dithered gnu makes me suspect that it's not finding libraries for
png, jpeg and friends, so it's falling back to xbm (x-bit-map).

You're build also apparently isn't finding a decent GUI toolkit (neither
GNOME nor lesstif). Emacs is doing its own thing for both scroll bar and
menu bar.

--
// Ben Smith-Mannschott

* Re: Bad GUI (Monochore), when i compile emacs
@ 2008-12-31 11:33   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-12-31 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 31 2008, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> I have compiled emacs, but the interface seems strange and ugly

After the "configure" run, you see something like this:

  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes

If you see "no" instead of "yes", you need to install the
corresponding development image libraries, e.g. libxpm-dev for Xpm
(tool bar icons).

On my system:

# apt-get install libxpm-dev libjpeg62-dev libtiff4-dev libgif-dev libpng12-dev

> What is strange and what is ugly? What is different when compared to an Emacs
> from some Ubuntu package?

See the screenshot. :-)

Bye, Reiner.
--