all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I stop emacs from stealing focus?
@ 2008-02-07 16:47 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2008-02-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

When I type ``emacsclient filename'' my mouse will *ALWAYS* jump to
the emacs window.
It isn't just focus stealing, it is mouse moving, too.  Even across
desktops.  Bad.
Very, very bad.  I cannot even figure out how to stop this evil
behavior.  Please:

1.  Tell me how I can get emacs to stop automatically doing things
like this that
     I simply do not want it to do

2.  make the setting findable with either "steal" or "focus" in the
settings search.

Thank you.

* Re: How can I stop emacs from stealing focus?
@ 2008-02-07 16:50 ` Bruce Korb
       [not found]   ` <47AB3BDF.5030702@diamondbackcap.com>
From: Bruce Korb @ 2008-02-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

On Feb 7, 2008 8:47 AM, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I type ``emacsclient filename'' my mouse will *ALWAYS* jump to
> the emacs window.
> It isn't just focus stealing, it is mouse moving, too.  Even across
> desktops.  Bad.
> Very, very bad.  I cannot even figure out how to stop this evil
> behavior.  Please:
>
> 1.  Tell me how I can get emacs to stop automatically doing things
> like this that
>      I simply do not want it to do
>
> 2.  make the setting findable with either "steal" or "focus" in the
> settings search.

Oh, I've got it:  I have to lie to emacs.  I have "focus follows
mouse" set "on" so that emacs knows the KDE window manager policy.  It
uses that information to steal the mouse and the focus.  By lying to
it, it leaves my mouse alone.  Thank you.

@ 2008-02-07 18:37     ` Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2008-02-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark T. Kennedy; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On Feb 7, 2008 9:11 AM, Mark T. Kennedy <ccccc> wrote:

> bruce, i have the same problem.  exactly what did you change to get it to work?
> /mark kennedy

> >> 2.  make the setting findable with either "steal" or "focus" in the
> >> settings search.
> >
> > Oh, I've got it:  I have to lie to emacs.  I have "focus follows
> > mouse" set "on" so that emacs knows the KDE window manager policy.  It
> > uses that information to steal the mouse and the focus.  By lying to
> > it, it leaves my mouse alone.  Thank you.

Alt-X menu-bar-mode
Under "options" there is "configure emacs".
Select the "settable things matching pattern" and use "focus" for your pattern.
"steal" won't work.  The description talks about letting emacs know what the
window manager is doing.  It wants to know so that it will know to steal the
mouse and focus, but the help text doesn't talk about why emacs wants to know.
So, lie.  :(