all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-16 11:38 Ulrich Scholz
       [not found] ` <mailman.4890.1342454575.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2012-07-16 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For a long time, I wish for a horizontal scroll bar in Gnu Emacs. From searching on the web, it seems that I'm not alone.

Not having a horizontal scrollbar makes me switch to another editor for files that are extremely wide.  That sucks.

Is there any hope with this issue?

Ulrich

* Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-16 16:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4890.1342454575.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-07-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ulrich Scholz <d7@thispla.net>
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 04:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Not having a horizontal scrollbar makes me switch to another editor for files that are extremely wide.

??? What's wrong with automatic horizontal scrolling that Emacs
provides by default (and which kicks in as soon as you truncate-lines
to a non-nil value)?

> Is there any hope with this issue?

I suggest to file a feature request with the Emacs bug tracker.

* RE: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-16 16:21   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-16 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs

> > Is there any hope with this issue?
>
> I suggest to file a feature request with the Emacs bug tracker.

You mean like this one, submitted a couple of years ago?

The submitter, an Emacs user since 1982 (that's 30 years!), even offered to pay
for the feature.

That request got no reply at all, beyond being relegated to the wishlist (aka
/dev/null) two days later.

This info might be pertinent to Ulrich's "any hope" question.

* Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-16 16:49     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-07-16 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:21:13 -0700
>
> > > Is there any hope with this issue?
> >
> > I suggest to file a feature request with the Emacs bug tracker.
>
> You mean like this one, submitted a couple of years ago?
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5853
>
> The submitter, an Emacs user since 1982 (that's 30 years!), even offered to pay
> for the feature.
>
> That request got no reply at all, beyond being relegated to the wishlist (aka
> /dev/null) two days later.
>
> This info might be pertinent to Ulrich's "any hope" question.

Maybe telling how much money is in this could make a difference.

* RE: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-16 17:05       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: raul

> > > I suggest to file a feature request with the Emacs bug tracker.
> >
> > You mean like this one, submitted a couple of years ago?
> > http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5853
> >
> > The submitter, an Emacs user since 1982 (that's 30 years!),
> > even offered to pay for the feature.
> >
> > That request got no reply at all, beyond being relegated to
> > the wishlist (aka /dev/null) two days later.
> >
> > This info might be pertinent to Ulrich's "any hope" question.
>
> Maybe telling how much money is in this could make a difference.

Go ahead and ask him how much he's offering.  You can be the first to reply to
his feature request, two years later.  He might be happy to know that someone
read his suggestion.

* Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-16 18:20         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-07-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Cc: <raul@cantara.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:05:23 -0700
>
> > Maybe telling how much money is in this could make a difference.
>
> Go ahead and ask him how much he's offering.  You can be the first to reply to
> his feature request, two years later.  He might be happy to know that someone
> read his suggestion.

I wasn't talking about myself.  I have exactly zero knowledge and
experience in GUI programming, so I wouldn't know where to start with
this, even on one platform (out of 5 or 6 that we support).  So you
are marketing to the wrong guy.

@ 2012-07-17 10:01   ` Ulrich Scholz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4984.1342540441.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2012-07-17 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012 18:02:08 UTC+2 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> ??? What&#39;s wrong with automatic horizontal scrolling that Emacs
> provides by default (and which kicks in as soon as you truncate-lines
> to a non-nil value)?

Three things:

1) I'd like to have a visual feedback where I am in the file.  I have files that are extremely wide and that have empty spots. You can get lost.

2) I'd like to view other parts of the file without moving the cursor.

3) I think that scrollbars are better to quickly navigate large distances in large files. Ok, 90% are small movements within small files. Here, I enjoy the Emacs key mappings.

@ 2012-07-17 11:00   ` Ulrich Scholz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4984.1342540441.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2012-07-17 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012 18:02:08 UTC+2 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> ??? What&#39;s wrong with automatic horizontal scrolling that Emacs
> provides by default (and which kicks in as soon as you truncate-lines
> to a non-nil value)?

Three things

1) A horizontal scroll bar gives a visual feedback of where you are. I have very wide files with empty spots.  You can get lost.

2) Scroll bars allow to move the visual ara without moving the cursor.  (Ok, that migth be achievable with keys, too.)

3) Scroll bars are good for going far in large files. Well, 90% of navigation consists of short distances in small files.  But for the remaining 10%, scroll bars are much better.

* Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-17 15:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-07-17 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ulrich Scholz <d7@thispla.net>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:00:29 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012 18:02:08 UTC+2 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > ??? What&#39;s wrong with automatic horizontal scrolling that Emacs
> > provides by default (and which kicks in as soon as you truncate-lines
> > to a non-nil value)?
>
> Three things
>
> 1) A horizontal scroll bar gives a visual feedback of where you are. I have very wide files with empty spots.  You can get lost.
>
> 2) Scroll bars allow to move the visual ara without moving the cursor.  (Ok, that migth be achievable with keys, too.)
>
> 3) Scroll bars are good for going far in large files. Well, 90% of navigation consists of short distances in small files.  But for the remaining 10%, scroll bars are much better.

You carefully snipped the part to which I was replying.  I didn't mean
to claim that auto-hscroll mode makes horizontal scroll bar
redundant.  I meant to say that it should be better than switching to
a different editor.

@ 2012-07-18 12:09     ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5090.1342625784.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2012-07-18 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Ulrich Scholz

Ulrich Scholz <d7@thispla.net> writes:

> Three things
>
> 1) A horizontal scroll bar gives a visual feedback of where you are. I
> have very wide files with empty spots.  You can get lost.
>
> 2) Scroll bars allow to move the visual ara without moving the cursor.
> (Ok, that migth be achievable with keys, too.)
>
> 3) Scroll bars are good for going far in large files. Well, 90% of
> navigation consists of short distances in small files.  But for the
> remaining 10%, scroll bars are much better.

I use Emacs for many years now, and horizontal scroll bars are among the
things I miss most.  If you make some progress here, I think, many
people would be thankful.  Please don't give up!

Michael.

* Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-18 15:35       ` Tom
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5090.1342625784.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tom @ 2012-07-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen <at> web.de> writes:

> I use Emacs for many years now, and horizontal scroll bars are among the
> things I miss most.  If you make some progress here, I think, many
> people would be thankful.  Please don't give up!

Can be a good candidate for crowdfunding:

http://www.freedomsponsors.org/

@ 2012-07-19 11:37         ` hjuvi
From: hjuvi @ 2012-07-19 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I can't find it again on the web, but it seems to me that I read some time ago that the horizontal scrollbar feature request had been refused by Emacs developpers because it broke the compatibility with terminal mode (emacs -nw), and that was one of the reasons for forking Emacs into XEmacs.
But maybe I'm wrong (otherwise I believe I would find it on the web...)

* Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
@ 2012-07-19 12:42           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-07-19 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hjuvi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.07.2012 um 13:37 schrieb hjuvi:

> I can't find it again on the web, but it seems to me that I read some time ago that the horizontal scrollbar feature request had been refused by Emacs developpers because it broke the compatibility with terminal mode (emacs -nw), and that was one of the reasons for forking Emacs into XEmacs.
> But maybe I'm wrong (otherwise I believe I would find it on the web...)

Is there any scroll-bar, vertical or horizontal, visible in terminal mode?

--
Greetings

  Pete

My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii.  She sells C shells down by the seashore.