all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Creating X-window frame from Emacs in TTY
@ 2004-01-16 10:44 Nicolas Neuss
From: Nicolas Neuss @ 2004-01-16 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I wanted to open an X frame for an Emacs started with "emacs -nw".  This
works for XEmacs, but does not work with Emacs (21.2.1 on Debian Woody).

"M-x make-frame-on-display -> :0.0"  doesn't do anything

I tried also something like

(setq frame-creation-function 'x-create-frame-with-faces)

Then "M-x make-frame-on-display -> :0.0" yields the error

x-create-frame-with-faces: X windows are not in use or not initialized

Is there a way to obtain this feature, maybe using a more recent Emacs?  If
not, why is it disallowed?

Nicolas.

* Re: Creating X-window frame from Emacs in TTY
@ 2004-01-16 18:50 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.832.1074361796.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Neuss wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I wanted to open an X frame for an Emacs started with "emacs -nw".  This
> works for XEmacs, but does not work with Emacs (21.2.1 on Debian Woody).
>
> "M-x make-frame-on-display -> :0.0"  doesn't do anything
>
> I tried also something like
>
> (setq frame-creation-function 'x-create-frame-with-faces)
>
> Then "M-x make-frame-on-display -> :0.0" yields the error
>
> x-create-frame-with-faces: X windows are not in use or not initialized
>
> Is there a way to obtain this feature, maybe using a more recent Emacs?  If
> not, why is it disallowed?

See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00019.html

I don't know if that's been committed in CVS Emacs, though.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Creating X-window frame from Emacs in TTY
@ 2004-01-17 17:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.832.1074361796.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-17 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:50:37 -0700
>
> See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00019.html
>

> I don't know if that's been committed in CVS Emacs, though.

It wasn't.

@ 2004-01-19  9:12     ` Nicolas Neuss
From: Nicolas Neuss @ 2004-01-19  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:50:37 -0700
> >
> > See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00019.html
> >

> > I don't know if that's been committed in CVS Emacs, though.
>
> It wasn't.

I hope it will be soon (is there any chance?), because I think it is a
really important feature.  My use for it would be the following.  On my
office computer, I start Emacs in terminal mode from within a 'screen'
session, open an X window and detach the screen session.  Then, within
Emacs, I start a long computation in an inferior Lisp buffer (Common Lisp).
At home or from somewhere else, I want to look at the state of this
computation while being connected via a slow telephone line.  This is now
easy by logging in and attaching to the screen session.

Of course, also reading mail from home is an obvious application.  In every
case, one would have both the comfortable X interface and the terminal
mode, if the connection is slow.

@ 2004-01-19 20:38       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-19 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Nicolas Neuss <my.name@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 19 Jan 2004 10:12:53 +0100
> > >
> > > See http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-01/msg00019.html
> > >

> > > I don't know if that's been committed in CVS Emacs, though.
> >
> > It wasn't.
>
> I hope it will be soon (is there any chance?)

It needs some work to get it into shape, that's all.