all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-13 15:46 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2004-02-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something strange is happening to the Message-Id: of some of the articles
in gnu.emacs.bug the Newsgroup.  For example, in the short thread
initiated by Jari Aalto "Subject: 21.3 move-to-column goes not go to the
column (discards symbols)", the Message-Id: of the opening article is

<mailman.1657.1075547466.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

. However, Andreas Schwab's followup to this article contains the
following header:

. I don't know how this is happening, or why it's happening, but because
of it, threads don't thread when viewed in a newsreader.  In this thread,
it's not so much a problem because it only has three articles anyway.
But in, for example, the longer thread (15 articles) "inconsistent
bindings of backspace and delete between X and xterm" started by Dale
Hagglund, there is (to my newsreader) simply a partially ordered list of
articles, not a thread.

This peculiarity with References: not matching their predecessors'
Message-Id:s is anything but rare in g.e.b., and it's irritating.  It
looks like a bug to me (though I'd be happy enough to be told that my
setup's broken, and what I need to do to mend it).

Could somebody please enlighten me on this issue?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter