all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-13 15:46 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2004-02-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Something strange is happening to the Message-Id: of some of the articles
in gnu.emacs.bug the Newsgroup.  For example, in the short thread
initiated by Jari Aalto "Subject: 21.3 move-to-column goes not go to the
column (discards symbols)", the Message-Id: of the opening article is

<mailman.1657.1075547466.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

. However, Andreas Schwab's followup to this article contains the
following header:

. I don't know how this is happening, or why it's happening, but because
of it, threads don't thread when viewed in a newsreader.  In this thread,
it's not so much a problem because it only has three articles anyway.
But in, for example, the longer thread (15 articles) "inconsistent
bindings of backspace and delete between X and xterm" started by Dale
Hagglund, there is (to my newsreader) simply a partially ordered list of
articles, not a thread.

This peculiarity with References: not matching their predecessors'
Message-Id:s is anything but rare in g.e.b., and it's irritating.  It
looks like a bug to me (though I'd be happy enough to be told that my
setup's broken, and what I need to do to mend it).

Could somebody please enlighten me on this issue?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-13 16:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

[I'm not sure this list is a good place to talk about this.]

> Date: 13 Feb 2004 16:46:53 +0100
> From: Alan Mackenzie <none@example.invalid>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:45:10 +0000
>
> Something strange is happening to the Message-Id: of some of the articles
> in gnu.emacs.bug the Newsgroup.  For example, in the short thread
> initiated by Jari Aalto "Subject: 21.3 move-to-column goes not go to the
> column (discards symbols)", the Message-Id: of the opening article is
>
> <mailman.1657.1075547466.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> . However, Andreas Schwab's followup to this article contains the
> following header:

I suspect that the articles whose Message-Id includes `mailman' come
from the mailing list bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is managed by
mailman.

* Re: gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-13 19:34   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-02-13 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
 > I suspect that the articles whose Message-Id includes `mailman' come
 > from the mailing list bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is managed by
                                                         ^^^^^^^
                                                         mangled
 > mailman.

By what right does mailman change a message's Message-Id header?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-13 21:08   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-02-13 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gnu-emacs-bug

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> I suspect that the articles whose Message-Id includes `mailman' come
> from the mailing list bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is managed by
> mailman.

It's probably the mail-to-news gateway that is rewriting the Message-Id
(I'm reading the mailing list, not the newsgroup).  My article in the
newsgroup has Message-ID:
<mailman.1663.1075568891.928.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, but the mail I sent
to bug-gnu-emacs@ actually had Message-ID: <jen084cavz.fsf@sykes.suse.de>.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

* Re: gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-13 21:58     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2004-02-13 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>  > I suspect that the articles whose Message-Id includes `mailman' come
>  > from the mailing list bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, which is managed by
>                                                          ^^^^^^^
>                                                          mangled
>  > mailman.
>
> By what right does mailman change a message's Message-Id header?

It doesn't, the mailing list keeps the correct Message-Ids.

@ 2004-02-14 11:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-14 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:34:58 -0700
>
> By what right does mailman change a message's Message-Id header?

Don't kill the messenger ;-)

I just hypothesized about the possible cause, but have no idea how the
mail-to-news gateway works within mailman.

* Re: gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup:  Message-Id: getting fouled up
@ 2004-02-14 11:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-14 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs