all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* find-file completion tweak
@ 2008-07-19 19:18 Eric Roode
From: Eric Roode @ 2008-07-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Once upon a time, I could have sworn that find-file completion had a feature
whereby if the first character you typed was a / or a ~, the entire default
directory was erased and replaced with the / or ~.  This was terribly
convenient.

Right now, if you want to open an absolute file name (or one relative to
your home directory), you have to hit C-a C-k after you type C-x C-f and
before you type / or ~.  Annoying.

Did I dream this feature?  Did it go away?  How can I make find-file behave
this way again?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: find-file completion tweak
@ 2008-07-20  6:48 ` Bernardo Bacic
From: Bernardo Bacic @ 2008-07-20  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(file-name-shadow-mode 1) does something similar

it was a dark and stormy night when Eric Roode said,

       [not found] <mailman.15060.1216536045.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-21 21:22 ` Thr4wn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.15508.1217269319.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thr4wn @ 2008-07-21 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 19, 3:18 pm, "Eric Roode" <eric.roode.em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once upon a time, I could have sworn that find-file completion had a feature
> whereby if the first character you typed was a / or a ~, the entire default
> directory was erased and replaced with the / or ~.  This was terribly
> convenient.
>
> Right now, if you want to open an absolute file name (or one relative to
> your home directory), you have to hit C-a C-k after you type C-x C-f and
> before you type / or ~.  Annoying.
>
> Did I dream this feature?  Did it go away?  How can I make find-file behave
> this way again?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

What version of emacs are you using? I'm have version 22.2.1 on Debian
(compiled from source) and that's what mine does by default, which
makes me curious why yours isn't working.

-Thr4wn

* Re: find-file completion tweak
@ 2008-07-28 18:21   ` Eric Roode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.15508.1217269319.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Roode @ 2008-07-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 19, 3:18 pm, "Eric Roode" <eric.roode.em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Once upon a time, I could have sworn that find-file completion had a
> feature
> > whereby if the first character you typed was a / or a ~, the entire
> default
> > directory was erased and replaced with the / or ~.  This was terribly
> > convenient.
> >
> > Right now, if you want to open an absolute file name (or one relative to
> > your home directory), you have to hit C-a C-k after you type C-x C-f and
> > before you type / or ~.  Annoying.
> >
> > Did I dream this feature?  Did it go away?  How can I make find-file
> behave
> > this way again?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eric
>
> What version of emacs are you using? I'm have version 22.2.1 on Debian
> (compiled from source) and that's what mine does by default, which
> makes me curious why yours isn't working.
>
> -Thr4wn

Strange.

I'm currently using 21.2.1 on cygwin/winXP, for what it's worth (using the
version that cygwin's package manager installs).

@ 2008-07-28 18:46     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2008-07-28 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Eric Roode" <eric.roode.emacs@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 19, 3:18 pm, "Eric Roode" <eric.roode.em...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Once upon a time, I could have sworn that find-file completion had a
>> feature
>> > whereby if the first character you typed was a / or a ~, the entire
>> default
>> > directory was erased and replaced with the / or ~.  This was terribly
>> > convenient.
>> >
>> > Right now, if you want to open an absolute file name (or one relative to
>> > your home directory), you have to hit C-a C-k after you type C-x C-f and
>> > before you type / or ~.  Annoying.
>> >
>> > Did I dream this feature?  Did it go away?  How can I make find-file
>> behave
>> > this way again?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Eric
>>
>> What version of emacs are you using? I'm have version 22.2.1 on Debian
>> (compiled from source) and that's what mine does by default, which
>> makes me curious why yours isn't working.
>>
>> -Thr4wn
>>

> Strange.
>
> I'm currently using 21.2.1 on cygwin/winXP, for what it's worth (using the
> version that cygwin's package manager installs).

Hit <tab> to get emacs to complete it for you?