all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re:writing new speedbar-modes
       [not found] <mailman.923156.1354970579.854.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-12-08 13:34 ` damien.thiriet77
       [not found] ` <mailman.14869.1354974731.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: damien.thiriet77 @ 2012-12-08 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I remember reading on an emacs-blog something about the sauron mode that might interest you. Have a look at its code (but I am not sure this is a speedbar however)…

Damien Thiriet

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Eli Zaretskii  wrote:
> >> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:09:19 -0500
> >> From: Matt Price
> >>
> >> I need towrite a new major mode for speedbar (for the Scrivener
> >> project I've described elsewhere on this list), but it looks a little
> >> harder than I can handle on my own. Has anyone out there done this
> >> already, or can you point me to an example that might be relatively
> >> easy to follow? I'd really appreciate it!
> >
> > Forgive me for asking the obvious, but did you read the "Extending"
> > chapter of the Speedbar manual? That manual comes with Emacs.
> >
> > If the above chapter doesn't give you enough information, please
> > consider submitting a documentation bug report.
> >
> I did read it, but I don't understand big parts of it. I can file a
> bug I guess, but what might help me would be to see a real example of
> a major mode, after which I can start editing the work of a competent
> coder...
>
> I will go ahead and file a bug, though.
>
> thanks,
> matt

> End of help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 121, Issue 16

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

* extended regexp
       [not found] <mailman.923156.1354970579.854.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-12-08 13:52 ` damien.thiriet77
       [not found] ` <mailman.14869.1354974731.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: damien.thiriet77 @ 2012-12-08 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have been recently doing a lot of regexp with grep, sed and emacs and I think differences between regexp syntax of those programs are a bit confusing (I am using GNU sed, GNU grep and GNU emacs). Extended regexp somehow unify these syntaxes, and I would link to know if there is a way to implement them in emacs regexp search and replace. I would like to do so for another reason: I have quite often to escape ( and { in my regexp, which is quite tedious. Of course, I suppose the default behaviour of ( in regexp is connected with lisp syntax, but I mostly use search-replace in texts with few (). I made a research in both emacs info manual and emacs wiki and couldn’t find anything on it. As far as I remember, vim has got such extended regexp-like functions.

If there is no extended-regexp functions nor mode avalaible, I may send a feature request for it (the idea would be to have a regexp variable for usual or extended search and replace). However, do you think someone else might be interested by such a behaviour?

Damien Thiriet

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

* Re: extended regexp
       [not found] ` <mailman.14869.1354974731.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-12-10 15:05   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-12-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If there is no extended-regexp functions nor mode avalaible, I may
> send a feature request for it (the idea would be to have a regexp variable
> for usual or extended search and replace).  However, do you think someone
> else might be interested by such a behaviour?

We'd be happy to use a cleaner regexp syntax, but doing it without
breaking backward compatibility is tricky, unless you go the
`rx' route.  E.g. provide a new function/macro (call it `re') which
converts between your new syntax and the old one.