all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* icicles doc question
@ 2009-11-01  4:25 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2009-11-01  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ive been looking around the icicles doc keybindings and find things
like C-next and C-prior

What is next and prior? Right and left dont seem to be it.
[I am on a laptop which has only one set of arrow keys]

* RE: icicles doc question
@ 2009-11-01  6:24 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-01  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rustom Mody', help-gnu-emacs

> Ive been looking around the icicles doc keybindings and find things
> like C-next and C-prior
>
> What is next and prior? Right and left dont seem to be it.
> [I am on a laptop which has only one set of arrow keys]

`next' and `prior' are what Emacs calls the logical keys that correspond to the
physical keys that are often labeled "Page Down" and "Page Up". `C-next' and
`C-prior' are the same, with the "Control" key held down.

This is mentioned in the Icicles doc, here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Nutshell_View#toc7

and here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Help_on_Candidates

It is also discussed in the Emacs manual, nodes `Moving Point', `Minibuffer
Edit', `Completion Commands', and `Scrolling'. See the Index, under `PageDown',
`PageUp', `next' and `prior'.

The keypad versions, `kp-next' and `kp-prior' are discussed in the Elisp manual,
node `Function Keys'.

HTH.

* Re: icicles doc question
@ 2009-11-02 16:20   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2009-11-02 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

In minibuffer after for find-file I tried:
\W$ as well as /W$
I get
apply: Bad format environment-variable substitution.
Whats happening?

Note I am on linux right now

* RE: icicles doc question
@ 2009-11-02 16:51     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-02 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rustom Mody'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> In minibuffer after for find-file I tried:
> \W$ as well as /W$
> I get apply: Bad format environment-variable substitution.
> Whats happening? Note I am on linux right now

Hi Rustom,

Please report Icicles bugs (or questions) using `M-x icicle-send-bug-report'.
Use the latest Icicles files, and specify your Emacs version in the report.
Preferably, send a recipe to reproduce the problem, starting with `emacs -Q'.

Wrt your question -

I'm not sure just what you tried. I think you're referring to the tip on this
page about using `\W$' in an input regexp, to match only directories:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Special_Characters_in_Input_Patterns

Keep in mind that this is relevant only for regexp completion (aka apropos
completion, aka `S-TAB'). (And only in Icicle mode, obviously.)

Example:

Suppose that the pattern `foo' has several apropos completions, including some
ordinary-file names and some directory names (subdirectories of the current
directory).

Then this will match all of those files and directories:

C-x C-f foo S-TAB

But this will match only the (sub)directory names:

C-x C-f foo\W$ S-TAB

And this will match all of the (sub)directories (and only directories) in the
current directory (`default-directory'):

C-x C-f \W$ S-TAB

If that is not what you see, or if you need further clarification, you can email
me off list.