all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
@ 2015-01-12  0:17 Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-01-12  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?

All the docs I read all wanted to set some combo of Super key + something else.

I want JUST the Super key to be another Meta key if possible.

Thanks!

Chris

* Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
@ 2015-01-12  0:44 ` Grant Rettke
       [not found] ` <mailman.17705.1421023477.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-01-12  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chris Seberino; +Cc: Emacs Help

(setq w32-lwindow-modifier 'super)
(setq w32-rwindow-modifier 'super)

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

* Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
@ 2015-01-12  1:39   ` Sam Varshavchik
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17782.1421101658.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sam Varshavchik @ 2015-01-12  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Emacs Help

Grant Rettke writes:

> (setq w32-lwindow-modifier 'super)
> (setq w32-rwindow-modifier 'super)

Not sure if this will work if one's running Gnome 3. Pretty sure it will
hijack the super key for its own purposes, and the apps won't ever see it.

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
> >
> > All the docs I read all wanted to set some combo of Super key + something
> > else.
> >
> > I want JUST the Super key to be another Meta key if possible.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chris
> >

> --
> Grant Rettke
> gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
> “Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
> ((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
> “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
> taking it seriously.” --Thompson

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

@ 2015-01-12  2:55   ` Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-01-12  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 6:44:39 PM UTC-6, Grant Rettke wrote:
> (setq w32-lwindow-modifier 'super)
> (setq w32-rwindow-modifier 'super)

Thanks!
I just created a bare .emacs file with nothing but those
2 lines and it still didn't work.

Am I doing something wrong!?

@ 2015-01-12  2:58   ` Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-01-12  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm on Emacs 24.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 if that matters.

Should it only work on Windows?

* Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
@ 2015-01-12  3:10     ` Sam Varshavchik
From: Sam Varshavchik @ 2015-01-12  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris Seberino writes:

> I'm on Emacs 24.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 if that matters.
>
> Should it only work on Windows?

Are you using the Gnome desktop? I'm not familiar with Ubuntu's installation
options, but Gnome uses the super key for its own purposes, and applications
may not even have the opportunity to process the super key.

Try a different desktop, KDE or XFCE, if possible.

@ 2015-01-12  3:14 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-01-12  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 5:47:31 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Seberino wrote:
> Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
>
> All the docs I read all wanted to set some combo of Super key + something else.
>
> I want JUST the Super key to be another Meta key if possible.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Firstly if you do C-h c ESC x
you should see that emacs says M-x is translated from ESC x
so ESC is an emulation of Meta on emacs.

And so (secondly) if you want emacs to see a Windows exactly
like and ESC, that needs to be done at the X level
ie at a lower level of OS outside of emacs.

On ubuntu something like this http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Keyboard-Layout-in-Ubuntu may work.

Else there are lower level options like xmodmap and xkb.
xmodmap is more straightforward but obsolete and not recommended
xkb is quite a nightmare see

https://askubuntu.com/questions/325272/permanent-xmodmap-in-ubuntu-13-04/347382#347382?newreg=4eb097870a15490ebbe39d78412f9797

[Just for context, I think using the keyboard effectively
to input unicode is important and I am a complete noob at it :-)

My finding is that xkb is very powerful and terribly documented:
http://blog.languager.org/2015/01/unicode-and-universe.html
and other posts tagged unicode

* Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
@ 2015-01-12  7:06     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2015-01-12  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 6:44:39 PM UTC-6, Grant Rettke wrote:
>
>> (setq w32-lwindow-modifier 'super)
>> (setq w32-rwindow-modifier 'super)
>
> Thanks!
> I just created a bare .emacs file with nothing but those
> 2 lines and it still didn't work.
>
> Am I doing something wrong!?

x-super-keysym is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is meta

Documentation:
Which keys Emacs uses for the super modifier.
This should be one of the symbols `alt', `hyper', `meta', `super'.
For example, `super' means use the Super_L and Super_R keysyms.  The
default is nil, which is the same as `super'.

So this should work:

 (setq x-super-keysym 'meta)

Good luck :-)

Glyn

* Re: Possible to make Super (Windows) key be just another Meta key like ESC?
@ 2015-01-12 22:27     ` Grant Rettke
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17782.1421101658.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-01-12 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sam Varshavchik; +Cc: Emacs Help

Sorry assumed this was for a Windows box.

There are two articles showing some options:

http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_hyper_super_keys.html

http://xahlee.info/linux/linux_keyboard_tools.html

The former is how I set up my config thanks to Xah Lee.

@ 2015-01-18  4:56       ` Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-01-18  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Those links allowed one to set up Super + another key
but not Super (Window key) but *itself*.

Is that possible too?