all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Term mode and cygwin bash issues
@ 2010-02-18 19:35 snikeris
From: snikeris @ 2010-02-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I'm trying to use cygwin's bash.exe in term-mode.  When I type "M-x
term", emacs prompts me for which program to use.  It defaults to
bash.exe, which is what I want.

However, the resulting shell is all messed up.  If I type 'ls', the
output looks like a staircase:

file one
          file two
                    file three

etc.

Also, there is no prompt.

M-x shell uses the bash correctly however.

I've done some Google searching to no avail.

Any ideas?

* Re: Term mode and cygwin bash issues
@ 2010-02-19  9:22 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-02-19  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: snikeris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.02.2010 um 20:35 schrieb snikeris:

> file one
>          file two
>                    file three

These lines just end with a linefeed character, which simply puts the
text cursor one line below. In DOS lines end with carriage return (CR,
^M, C-m), i.e., the text cursor returns to the first column, plus
linefeed (LF, ^J, C-j), i.e., feed a new line for future text output.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.:
	A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in the creation of
computer manuals.