all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14  9:56 gerlach
From: gerlach @ 2013-05-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
when searching for text the actual highlighted text in emacs 23.3 in
ubuntu 12.04 is lightblue with pink background - a horrible combination,
I often can't read it. How can I change lightblue to e.g. white?

thx
Eckard

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14 13:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25733.1368540794.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-05-14 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: gerlach <jack@aiai.de>
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 11:56:55 +0200
>
> when searching for text the actual highlighted text in emacs 23.3 in
> ubuntu 12.04 is lightblue with pink background - a horrible combination,
> I often can't read it. How can I change lightblue to e.g. white?

Customize the face 'isearch'.

* RE: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14 14:13   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25733.1368540794.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-05-14 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs

> > when searching for text the actual highlighted text in
> > emacs 23.3 in ubuntu 12.04 is lightblue with pink background
> > - a horrible combination, I often can't read it. How can I
> > change lightblue to e.g. white?
>
> Customize the face 'isearch'.

How to find this yourself:

M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET

You will see these matches:

Isearch face: (sample) [Show Face]
   State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
   Face for highlighting Isearch matches.

Isearch Fail face: (sample) [Show Face]
   State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
   Face for highlighting failed part in Isearch echo-area message.

Isearch Lazy Highlight Face:(sample) [Show Face]
   State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
   isearch-lazy-highlight-face is an alias for the face `lazy-highlight'. [More]

You can customize any of these from the same buffer (it is a Customize buffer).
Start by clicking `[Show Face]' (or the small triangle in Emacs 24+).

If you generally use the default Emacs settings, and you think the default
appearance for face `isearch' should be changed, file an enhancement request for
that using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

@ 2013-05-14 15:55     ` gerlach
From: gerlach @ 2013-05-14 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2013 16:13, schrieb Drew Adams:
>>> when searching for text the actual highlighted text in
>>> emacs 23.3 in ubuntu 12.04 is lightblue with pink background
>>> - a horrible combination, I often can't read it. How can I
>>> change lightblue to e.g. white?
>>
>> Customize the face 'isearch'.
>
> How to find this yourself:
>
> M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET
>
> You will see these matches:
>
> Isearch face: (sample) [Show Face]
>     State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
>     Face for highlighting Isearch matches.
>
> Isearch Fail face: (sample) [Show Face]
>     State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
>     Face for highlighting failed part in Isearch echo-area message.
>
> Isearch Lazy Highlight Face:(sample) [Show Face]
>     State: HIDDEN, invoke "Show" in the previous line to show.
>     isearch-lazy-highlight-face is an alias for the face `lazy-highlight'. [More]
>
> You can customize any of these from the same buffer (it is a Customize buffer).
> Start by clicking `[Show Face]' (or the small triangle in Emacs 24+).
>
> If you generally use the default Emacs settings, and you think the default
> appearance for face `isearch' should be changed, file an enhancement request for
> that using `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

thx a lot!

Isearch face: (sample) [Hide Face]
    [State]: SAVED and set.
    Face for highlighting Isearch matches.
Groups: [Isearch] [Basic Faces]
See also [Manual] and [isearch].
Choice: [Value Menu]
  Attributes: [ ] Font Family: *
              [ ] Font Foundry: *
              [ ] Width: *
              [ ] Height: *
              [ ] Weight: *
              [ ] Slant: *
              [ ] Underline: *
              [ ] Overline: *
              [ ] Strike-through: *
              [ ] Box around text: *
              [ ] Inverse-video: *
 >>  *)       [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
              [X] Background: magenta4   (sample)
              [ ] Stipple: *
              [ ] Inherit: *

*) I changed to "white" and emacs wrote to my ~/.emacs:

(custom-set-variables )
(custom-set-faces
  '(isearch ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "magenta4"
:foreground "white")))))

BTW: I deleted remarks

But: nothing changed! restarting emacs the same "old" background color
lightblue (cyan1 ?) appears. And: looking again in
customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET   I see

[X] Foreground: white      (sample)

where "sample" is blue colored! The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?

Eckard

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14 19:23       ` gerlach
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: gerlach @ 2013-05-14 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2013 17:55, schrieb gerlach:

> [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
>
> where "sample" is blue colored! The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?

some hours later I made some further tests:
green works, black, too! And red also, but not white and yellow! Who has
programmed such nonsense? All useful colors are blocked!?!?!

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14 19:57         ` gerlach
From: gerlach @ 2013-05-14 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2013 21:23, schrieb gerlach:
> Am 14.05.2013 17:55, schrieb gerlach:

>> [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
>>
>> where "sample" is blue colored! The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?
>
> some hours later I made some further tests:
> green works, black, too! And red also, but not white and yellow! Who has
> programmed such nonsense? All useful colors are blocked!?!?!

In another test I saved "black" as background and got "black" in .emacs
but red in emacs search !?!?! I tested all colors changing

  (custom-set-faces
  '(isearch ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "white"
:foreground "black"))))

background entry. Only "green" appears as green, all other colors change
to other colors! What a mess! Inserting "white" results in blue (cyan)
background, and in combination with foreground black (that appears as
black, what a surprise!)  I CAN WORK!!! Black on cyan is readable!!! GREAT!

As next "isearch-fail" was also unreadable , red background and grey
foreground. I went to configuration with
M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET
and saved somewhat color for background.  I looked at my .emacs file and
detected:

'(isearch-fail ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "red")))))

I tested all possible colors yellow, black, green, .... All colors
appeard in other color like observed with "isearch", inserting "cyan1"
instead von red  I get  lightblue (=cyan) at isearch-fail. And I CAN
READ IT AND I CAN WORK! What surprise and what a mess ...

After I detected that "isearch" was resetted to magenta background ...,
I looked at .emacs and indeed: emacs config has manipulated the colors
in isearch entry although I didn' change "isearch" in  M-x
customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET !! What mess, bugs-over-bugs ...
  in
emacs 23.3+1-1ubuntu9.1

@ 2013-05-14 20:04       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.25781.1368561912.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-05-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerlach; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2013 um 17:55 schrieb gerlach:

> But: nothing changed!

I think you should use a terminal with some more than eight colours…

Could you try M-x list-colors-display RET ?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii.  She sells C shells down by the seashore.

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14 20:06         ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2013-05-14 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, gerlach

you can do it in vim

@ 2013-05-14 20:26         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-05-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gerlach', help-gnu-emacs

> > [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
> > where "sample" is blue colored! The "white"
> > didn't take effekt. Why?
>
> some hours later I made some further tests:
> green works, black, too! And red also, but not white and
> yellow!

`M-x list-colors-display' will show you some colors you can use.
When I do that, `white' is one of the possibilities.
If it is a possibility for you too, then try again.

The `custom-set-faces' entry added by Customize to your .emacs says that your
Emacs must support at least 8 colors for that entry to have an effect:
`(min-colors 8)'.

What happens if you edit the face in Customize as you want, then set that
change, and then in the same Emacs session you use isearch?

(Works for me.)

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-14 20:34       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.25781.1368561912.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-05-14 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerlach; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2013 um 17:55 schrieb gerlach:

> The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?

Are you confused by the setting of isearch-lazy-highlight-face? Isearch high-light three sorts of places: the found string, matching strings between here and the beginning of the buffer, and matches between here and the end of the buffer. You should customise all three variables to see the real change.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

@ 2013-05-15  0:07         ` gerlach
From: gerlach @ 2013-05-15  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2013 22:04, schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> I think you should use a terminal with some more than eight colours…
>
> Could you try M-x list-colors-display RET ?

You're right! i didn't know that the limiting software is my XFCE
0.4.8-Terminal (XFCE 4 Desktop).

$ tput colors
8

M-x list-colors-display RET
results in 8 colors: white is displayed as lightblue, yellow as purple,
, then black, green, blue, magenta, cyan. So I've no "light"  colors. I
could update to XFCE 0.6 terminal but at the moment it's not worth it,
I've found a color combination with that I can work with.

thx to all for you help!

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-15  6:20           ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2013-05-15  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerlach; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:07 AM, gerlach <jack@aiai.de> wrote:

> You're right! i didn't know that the limiting software is my XFCE
> 0.4.8-Terminal (XFCE 4 Desktop).

> M-x list-colors-display RET
> results in 8 colors: white is displayed as lightblue, yellow as purple, ,
> then black, green, blue, magenta, cyan. So I've no "light"  colors. I could
> update to XFCE 0.6 terminal but at the moment it's not worth it, I've found
> a color combination with that I can work with.

You can configure XFCE Terminal to use any 16 colors (8 basic colors
and 8 for bold text).

You can also configure XFCE Terminal to support 256 colors.

I am describing the current version that ships in XFCE 4.10 but I am
pretty sure basic color configuration was there in 4.8, too.

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-15 18:45           ` Mark Skilbeck
       [not found]             ` <CAMJ-YiSxyccTZtNumqin-cSZgRUnG0WQkjgf0rJLE9tnqdNiqg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2013-05-15 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, gerlach

Troll, go elsewhere.

@ 2013-05-15 21:17               ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                 ` <CAMJ-YiRHw9C6PSqbvpqSDuzckMYdDaJveGrOgp-6Nu0tA+Ua1g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-05-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs Help

Am 15.05.2013 um 20:50 schrieb Jai Dayal:

> I already used Vim to unsubscribe to your trivial list

How did this fail?

--
Greetings

  Pete

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.

@ 2013-05-15 21:24                   ` Mark Skilbeck
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2013-05-15 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jai Dayal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Away, vile beast!

@ 2013-05-16  1:16                 ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-16  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs Help, Jai Dayal

Seems that he only treats Emacs/Vim as a toy, not a tool for
editing or even programming.

Anyway, he succeeded to unsubscribe the list.

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> writes:

> Am 15.05.2013 um 20:50 schrieb Jai Dayal:
>
>> I already used Vim to unsubscribe to your trivial list
>
> How did this fail?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for the operating system.

--
Regards,
Hongxu Chen

* Re: set the highlight color when searching
@ 2013-05-16  1:18                   ` Jai Dayal
From: Jai Dayal @ 2013-05-16  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongxu Chen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs Help

I use emacs extensively for coding. It's actually all I use.