On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > GNU_NODE_EXCLUDE is useful if some directory is mounted with the same... > > Could you point to some origin for this mechanism? > Googling only seems to point to this current thread and to some > gnuclient stuff. I was not aware of any other documentation than this, but searching google groups turned up this link: http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs/browse_thread/thread/dcb0343a012b69dc/86931742d045b117?q=GNU_NODE#86931742d045b117 to a posting from 1989 that is, I believe, the origin of the implementation in xemacs. My understanding is that gnuclient uses four environment variables to control the way that it connects to the server: GNU_PORT and GNU_HOST to identify the location of the server GNU_SECURE for authorization GNU_NODE (as described in this thread). As you probably know, emacsclient is different in that it uses a single file in .emacs.d/server to identify the server's location, and for authorization, I believe. On my machine this file looks like this: 127.0.0.1:41055 15289 R`HIRQ;aQxEG.U7.u.VExqpQLga@4kL4h_xH|'n1",)SBf:1 a convention? > I think so. I'm not aware of any other program that uses GNU_NODE in this (or any other) way. The idea and the environment variable name were entirely inspired by gnuclient in my case. GNU_NODE_EXCLUDE is, to my knowledge, a new extension. -Hugh > Stefan >