all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Beginning to Contribute
@ 2018-07-13  3:34 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-07-13  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hey all,

I am a hobbyist programmer coming from a medical and neurobiology
background. I have been working for several years in various
non-functional or semi-functional languages until I learned to love the
GNU-side of GNU/Linux. Since then, I have been working quite extensively
to hone the power of various Scheme implementations (Emacs Lisp, Guile,
Racket) and would be indeed excited to be able to give back to the most
powerful "operating system" there is; GNU Emacs.

All kidding aside, I would like to hear from you all where I could begin
to put some energy into the GNU Emacs project, starting small and
working my up until I get the lay of the land.

--
Brett Gilio
brettg@posteo.net | bmg@member.fsf.org

* Re: Beginning to Contribute
@ 2018-07-13  3:51 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-07-13  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio, emacs-devel

On 07/12/2018 10:34 PM, Brett Gilio wrote:
> I would like to hear from you all where I could begin to put some
> energy into the GNU Emacs project, starting small and working my up
> until I get the lay of the land.

The file etc/TODO contains some reasonably-large stuff to do. For
starters, you can look at the minor and/or wishlist bugs at
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs>. Also please
see the file CONTRIBUTING. And thanks for volunteering!

* Re: Beginning to Contribute
@ 2018-07-13  4:58   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-07-13  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 07/12/2018 10:51 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

> The file etc/TODO contains some reasonably-large stuff to do. For
> starters, you can look at the minor and/or wishlist bugs at
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs>. Also please
> see the file CONTRIBUTING. And thanks for volunteering!

Paul,

Thank you for your tips. I have read the CONTRIBUTING file and the style
guide. I am making myself acquainted with the code-base as we speak, and
plan on looking through the outstanding and current bugs from debbugs.
Thank you for the welcoming.

--
Brett Gilio
brettg@posteo.net | bmg@member.fsf.org