all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A couple of COMINT questions
@ 2011-03-24  3:30 Michael Mauger
From: Michael Mauger @ 2011-03-24  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Just a couple of minor questions about COMINT:

*  Should `comint-delchar-or-maybe-eof' call `delete-forward-char' rather than
`delete-char' in 24.1?

*  When `comint-redirect-send-command-to-process' is used, the filter functions
on the `comint-output-filter-functions' list are not called.  Specifically
`comint-strip-ctrl-m' is not called so that the redirected output may be
decorated with ^M's.  I thought maybe I'd check `comint-output-filter-functions'

for certain filters and duplicate their actions when I'm dealing redirected
output.  But I don't like that solution;  Any suggestions on how this might be
handled.  I did notice that several filters on the filter list manipulate the
buffer contents rather than processing the string argument as they are
documented to do.  Should the filters be separated between those that modify the

output and those that manipulate the buffer and window settings (i.e.,
`comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom') (And then apply the output filters during
redirection)?

Thanks.

-- Michael Mauger

* Re: A couple of COMINT questions
@ 2011-03-24 14:50 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-24 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Mauger; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> handled.  I did notice that several filters on the filter list
> manipulate the  buffer contents rather than processing the string
> argument as they are  documented to do.  Should the filters be
> separated between those that modify the  output and those that
> manipulate the buffer and window settings (i.e.,
> `comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom') (And then apply the output
> filters during  redirection)?

Yes, such a separation would be welcome.
To some extent you can already do it by moving the filters from
comint-output-filter-functions to the process filter itself, but it's
somewhat tricky to do it reliably, so it'd be better if comint provided
the feature directly.

* Re: A couple of COMINT questions
@ 2011-03-24 14:51 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Mauger; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> handled.  I did notice that several filters on the filter list
> manipulate the  buffer contents rather than processing the string
> argument as they are  documented to do.  Should the filters be
> separated between those that modify the  output and those that
> manipulate the buffer and window settings (i.e.,
> `comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom') (And then apply the output
> filters during  redirection)?

Uh, sorry, I just suffered a brain malfunction.
There is already such a separation: comint-preoutput-filter-functions.