all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GDB and Disappearing Text
@ 2007-08-05 16:19 Tomo Lazovich
From: Tomo Lazovich @ 2007-08-05 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I'm working on some C code in Emacs and it's time to test, I split the window and bring gdb up in one of them, leaving the code in the other one. When I send the "run" command to gdb, after setting my break points or doing anything else, the code disappears from the first window leaving it blank. This is really annoying, especially if I need to edit the code based on the results I get. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

---------------------------------
Got a little couch potato?

* Re: GDB and Disappearing Text
@ 2007-08-05 20:57 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-08-05 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomo Lazovich; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> When I'm working on some C code in Emacs and it's time to test, I split the
> window and bring gdb up in one of them, leaving the code in the other
> one. When I send the "run" command to gdb, after setting my break points or
> doing anything else, the code disappears from the first window leaving it
> blank.

I don't understand why the code disappears.  What do you see in its place?
A new buffer?  The same buffer, but blank? Just the GUD buffer?

Have you compiled with -g?

If you type "frame" in the GUD buffer what do you get?

> This is really annoying, especially if I need to edit the code based on the
> results I get. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

> (I'm using emacs 21.3 with cygwin's gdb on Windows XP SP2).

Emacs 22.1 has been released recently.  Can you see if you have the same
problem with this version. (Warning: it has a new GDB mode).