all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to stop saving these files
@ 2003-11-22 23:30 Lowell Kirsh
From: Lowell Kirsh @ 2003-11-22 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

emacs has been saving backup files in the same directory as the files
that I edit. The backup files have names like Friends.java~1.8.~. How
can I either
a) stop emacs from creating theses backups at all?
b) tell emacs to save them all in one place?

Lowell

* Re: how to stop saving these files
@ 2003-11-23  7:59 ` Roodwriter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Roodwriter @ 2003-11-23  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Kirsh wrote:

> emacs has been saving backup files in the same directory as the files
> that I edit. The backup files have names like Friends.java~1.8.~. How
> can I either
> a) stop emacs from creating theses backups at all?
> b) tell emacs to save them all in one place?
>
> Lowell

a) On the menu bar click: Options > Customize Emacs > Top-Level
Customization Group > Files > Backup group

--Rod

---

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

* Re: how to stop saving these files
@ 2003-11-24  8:13   ` Lowell Kirsh
From: Lowell Kirsh @ 2003-11-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, but I still can't figure out exactly what to change...

Lowell

@ 2003-11-24 18:38     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-24 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post.]

Lowell Kirsh wrote:
 > Roodwriter@core.com wrote:
 >> a) On the menu bar click: Options > Customize Emacs > Top-Level
 >> Customization Group > Files > Backup group
 >
 > Thanks, but I still can't figure out exactly what to change...

The first item is Make Backup Files: Non-nil means make a backup of a
file the first time it is saved.  You want to toggle it off.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: how to stop saving these files
@ 2003-11-24 19:45 ` sebyte
From: sebyte @ 2003-11-24 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> emacs has been saving backup files in the same directory as the files
> that I edit. The backup files have names like Friends.java~1.8.~. How
> can I either
> a) stop emacs from creating theses backups at all?
> b) tell emacs to save them all in one place?

You could try simply adding this line to your .emcas :

(backup-directory-alist (quote (("." . "path/to/chosen/directory"))))

but this is a custom-set-variable from my .emacs.

To do it using Custom, type 'M-x customize-group <RET> backup <RET>' and then
find the backup-directory-alist variable and edit accordingly.  Ignore the bit
about cons cell, scroll up and hit button 'set and save for future sessions' and
you should be away.

sebyte

* Re: how to stop saving these files
@ 2003-11-24 22:44 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-11-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Kirsh wrote:

> emacs has been saving backup files in the same directory as the files
> that I edit. The backup files have names like Friends.java~1.8.~.

Looks like a CVS backup file. See "Version Backups" section of Emacs
manual.

> How can I either a) stop emacs from creating theses backups at all?

(setq vc-cvs-stay-local nil)

> b) tell emacs to save them all in one place?

I don't know of an easy way.

* Re: how to stop saving these files
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-26 16:10 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2003-11-26 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> emacs has been saving backup files in the same directory as the files
> that I edit. The backup files have names like Friends.java~1.8.~. How
> can I either
> a) stop emacs from creating theses backups at all?
> b) tell emacs to save them all in one place?

Although several people have posted responses already, a better job of
covering the topic is the "How do I disable backup `auto-save-mode'?"
node in the Emacs FAQ.  Type "C-h F" to get into the FAQ, select the
"Common Requests" menu item, and from there select the
"Disabling auto-save-mode" menu item.  [You might also be interested
in the "Disabling backups" node.]

Be well.
--
I've never actually met anybody else named Lowell...