all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
@ 2005-07-28 20:41 exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2005-07-28 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm running the native Emacs for windows version
21.3.1 on a Win2000 machine.  I'm using it to edit two
different java source files.  One of the source files
looks fine in the buffer but the other, while
formatted correctly, displays '^M' olong with each
carriage return.  I also note that for this file
'(Unix)' appears all the way to the left of the
modeline.

It seems that Emacs thinks that this file is formatted
for unix.  When I look at the files in a hex-editor
they look the same to me - each line ending is marked
by a '0d0a' pair.  I also tried running 'unix2dos'
(under cygwin) on the offending file but to no avail.
So, what's going on?  On what does emacs base the
determination that the one file is a unix file while
hte other is not?  How can I fix it?  Thanks in
advance for any replies!

-exits

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail

* Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
@ 2005-07-28 21:22 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-07-28 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.07.2005 um 22:41 schrieb exits funnel:

> each line ending is marked by a '0d0a' pair

This in decimal 13 and 10 meaning C-m and C-j, i.e. they're CR-LF --
and this should be DOS.

You could try to revert the buffer from the file with a new encoding:
C-x RET r <something ending with -dos> RET
(revert-buffer-with-coding-system).

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
                        -- I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        -- A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                        -- F. Flintstone

* Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
       [not found] <mailman.2002.1122584487.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-28 21:38 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-28 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> So, what's going on?  On what does emacs base the
> determination that the one file is a unix file while
> hte other is not?

The line ends are inconsistent. Or there is a ^M in the middle
of a line somewhere. If this is deliberate (part of a string maybe),
you should probably use "\x0d" instead.

> How can I fix it?

There may be better ways, but usually I use the following method to
repair such files (do not type any spaces, they are just seperating
keystrokes for clarity):

Keystrokes             Explanation

M-<                    Ensure you are starting at the beginning of the file.
M-%  C-q C-m RET RET   Replace all ^M characters with nothing.
C-x RET f  d o s RET   Set the file to DOS mode.
C-x C-s                Save the repaired file.

You can omit the third step if you don't mind the file having Unix line
ends.

* Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
@ 2005-07-29 10:06   ` B.T. Raven
From: B.T. Raven @ 2005-07-29 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

<jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com> wrote in message
> exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > So, what's going on?  On what does emacs base the
> > determination that the one file is a unix file while
> > hte other is not?
>
> The line ends are inconsistent. Or there is a ^M in the middle
> of a line somewhere. If this is deliberate (part of a string maybe),
> you should probably use "\x0d" instead.
>
> > How can I fix it?
>
> There may be better ways, but usually I use the following method to
> repair such files (do not type any spaces, they are just seperating
> keystrokes for clarity):
>
> Keystrokes             Explanation
>
> M-<                    Ensure you are starting at the beginning of the
file.
> M-%  C-q C-m RET RET   Replace all ^M characters with nothing.

  ;; doesn't OP need a ! (bang) after the second RET?

@ 2005-07-29 14:19   ` rob wahoo
From: rob wahoo @ 2005-07-29 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google for eol-conversion.el. It is an emacs package the provides you
with a few user functions for changing files between DOS Unix, and MAC.
It also adds these functions under your Edit button on the menu bar.

* Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
@ 2005-07-29 19:09     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-07-29 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B.T. Raven" <emmn@cpinternet.com> writes:

>> M-%  C-q C-m RET RET   Replace all ^M characters with nothing.
>
>   ;; doesn't OP need a ! (bang) after the second RET?

Yes, thanks for pointing out the omission.

* Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
@ 2005-08-02 11:08   ` exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2005-08-02 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Jason.  I never was able to figure out why
Emacs thought the file was a UNIX file, but in any
case the steps you provided got the file straightened
out.  Thanks agains.

-exits

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs