Hi! During development of `rst.el` at some point I looked for some unit test support and found the wonderful ert package which meanwhile is part of Emacs. I wanted to test functions which operate on buffers - i.e. use buffer content as input and possibly modify the buffer. Buffer includes point and mark in this case. Since I found no support for this requirement in the ert package I wrote some support code for it. I just polished it a bit to better fit into Emacs standards. Since this is a problem others certainly share with me I happily contribute `ert-buffer.el` containing the main routines and `buffer.el` containing some tests for the former. BTW: I installed ert on 2010-10-30 and so far did not use the version in the Emacs source tree. I.e.: The code may not run smoothly with current version due to version differences. The next step I considered was to support testing font locking - or may be text properties in general. However, I didn't start this yet. It certainly would be useful. Grüße Stefan