all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 17:33 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2017-11-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to teach find-dired to sort its output by filename
the way that ls and thus dired work by default?  I looked at
find-ls-option, but this seems not to do the job.

Thanks,  Roland

* RE: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 17:40 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-11-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler, help-gnu-emacs

> Is it possible to teach find-dired to sort its output by filename
> the way that ls and thus dired work by default?  I looked at
> find-ls-option, but this seems not to do the job.

If you use library `find-dired+.el' then, on MS Windows,
`find-ls-option' uses the value of `dired-listing-switches'.

IOW, on Windows, `find-ls-option' is (cons "-ls" dired-listing-switches).

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/find-dired%2b.el

* RE: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 17:57   ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2017-11-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed Nov 29 2017 Drew Adams wrote:
> If you use library `find-dired+.el' then, on MS Windows,
> `find-ls-option' uses the value of `dired-listing-switches'.
>
> IOW, on Windows, `find-ls-option' is (cons "-ls" dired-listing-switches).

I am sorry, this doesn't help me with GNU find under a GNU/linux
system.  The way I understand it the problem is that the sort order
of the output of find reflects the order of the files "on disk".
Then find-dired takes this output without sorting and the cdr of
find-ls-option is not really relevant for this.  (So I believe the
same problem exists if one wanted to have any other well-defined
sort order in the dired buffer generated by find-dired.)

A custom hook in find-dired might help.

* RE: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 18:58     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-11-29 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > If you use library `find-dired+.el' then, on MS Windows,
> > `find-ls-option' uses the value of `dired-listing-switches'.
> >
> > IOW, on Windows, `find-ls-option' is (cons "-ls" dired-listing-
> > switches).
>
> I am sorry, this doesn't help me with GNU find under a GNU/linux
> system.

`M-x report-emacs-bug', to log an enhancement request.

* Re: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 19:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-29 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 11:33:51 -0600
> From: "Roland Winkler" <winkler@gnu.org>
>
> Is it possible to teach find-dired to sort its output by filename
> the way that ls and thus dired work by default?

You do know that find-dired runs the shell command asynchronously,
right?  If you want it to sort the output, it will have to be run
synchronously, in order to have the entire list of files before
sorting them, which means the user (you) will have to wait for all the
files to be read and processed, before seeing any output.  Is that a
good idea?

* Re: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 19:35 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-11-29 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Roland Winkler" wrote:

> Is it possible to teach find-dired to sort its output by filename
> the way that ls and thus dired work by default?

find-dired works asynchronously. You obviously can't sort by filename
until all the output has arrived.

* Re: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 20:42   ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2017-11-29 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed Nov 29 2017 Glenn Morris wrote:
> find-dired works asynchronously. You obviously can't sort by filename
> until all the output has arrived.

Does this mean it is possible to define a process sentinel that
shuffles the content in the dired buffer once the find job has
completed?

* Re: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-29 22:18   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-11-29 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Is it possible to teach find-dired to sort its output by filename
>> the way that ls and thus dired work by default?
> find-dired works asynchronously.

Right.

> You obviously can't sort by filename until all the output has arrived.

Not sure why you think it's "obvious".  We could have a process filter
that inserts each output lines at the right place.  Clearly more work,
but seems far from impossible.

* Re: sorting by filename with find-dired
@ 2017-11-30  3:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-30  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 17:18:47 -0500
>
> > You obviously can't sort by filename until all the output has arrived.
>
> Not sure why you think it's "obvious".  We could have a process filter
> that inserts each output lines at the right place.

That means a file's record will move on display as more files come
in.  Sounds like a misfeature to me.