all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: emacs list <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Key bindings
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:56:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 22.07.2005 um 21:32 schrieb Stefan Bienert:

> I got a new problem...in the computer at the university, the meta-key
> is on
> "alt", at my hoem pc its on "esc". Is there a simple way to change it
> "alt" for my home pc, too?
> My system is a gentoo-linux. But I really got no idea about keyboards.

When your Emacsen are not running in a terminal emulation but as X
clients, it's not about keyboards.

There are two programmes in X11: xev and xmodmap. Xmodmap accepts
arguments to print out the X modifiers or all keys. Xev tells you the
keysyms and keycodes you press. So you can check out a key (or more) to
work as meta modifier.

Comparing both worlds you can now write a little script .xmodmaprc like:

	keycode 66 = Meta_L
	keycode 69 = Meta_R

	clear Mod2
	add Mod2 = Meta_L Meta_R

In .xinitrc you can add:

	xmodmap .xmodmaprc

So upon launching X11 you'll have at home the same setup as at
university.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates and windows?