all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on OS X error
@ 2012-04-08 21:48 Gaston Fiore
From: Gaston Fiore @ 2012-04-08 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm relatively new to OS X and I'm trying to install GNU Emacs. I've
followed the instructions in both the general INSTALL file and
nexstep/INSTALL, but after 'make', when trying the resulting program
by 'src/emacs -Q', I get the following error:

2012-04-08 17:28:26.604 emacs[26816:707] ERROR: Can't have a toolbar
in a window with <NSNextStepFrame: 0x1012390c0> as it's borderview

An Emacs window does appear, but the top is hidden behind the OS X
menu bar and can't be accessed. How can I fix this problem? My Mac is
running OS X Version 10.7.3.

Thanks a lot,

-Gaston

* Re: Emacs on OS X error
@ 2012-04-09  5:24 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2012-04-09  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Gaston Fiore; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Gaston Fiore <gaston.fiore@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm relatively new to OS X and I'm trying to install GNU Emacs. I've
> followed the instructions in both the general INSTALL file and
> nexstep/INSTALL, but after 'make'

You should re-read nextstep/INSTALL.  The compiled program is not run as
src/emacs.

If you still have trouble, write back with the exact steps you took.

--
Le

* Re: Emacs on OS X error
@ 2012-04-09 12:26   ` Gaston Fiore
From: Gaston Fiore @ 2012-04-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

The problem is that the top of the Emacs window appears hidden behind
the OS X menu bar and can't be accessed. The steps that I followed
are, in the top-level directory:

make distclean
./configure --with-ns
make install

I'm then opening the app by double-clicking it in the nextstep
directory. Again, I'm running OS X 10.7.3.

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM, Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Gaston Fiore <gaston.fiore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm relatively new to OS X and I'm trying to install GNU Emacs. I've
>> followed the instructions in both the general INSTALL file and
>> nexstep/INSTALL, but after 'make'
>

> You should re-read nextstep/INSTALL.  The compiled program is not run as
> src/emacs.
>
> If you still have trouble, write back with the exact steps you took.
>
>> when trying the resulting program
>> by 'src/emacs -Q', I get the following error:
>>
>> 2012-04-08 17:28:26.604 emacs[26816:707] ERROR: Can't have a toolbar
>> in a window with <NSNextStepFrame: 0x1012390c0> as it's borderview
>>
>> An Emacs window does appear, but the top is hidden behind the OS X
>> menu bar and can't be accessed. How can I fix this problem? My Mac is
>> running OS X Version 10.7.3.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>>
>> -Gaston
>>

> --
> Le

* Re: Emacs on OS X error
@ 2012-04-09 15:55     ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2012-04-09 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Gaston Fiore; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Gaston Fiore <gaston.fiore@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that the top of the Emacs window appears hidden behind
> the OS X menu bar and can't be accessed. The steps that I followed
> are, in the top-level directory:
>
> make distclean
> ./configure --with-ns
> make install
>
> I'm then opening the app by double-clicking it in the nextstep
> directory. Again, I'm running OS X 10.7.3.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you can move the frame by
modifying frame-parameters.

Here is a simple command that I use to resize and reposition a frame:

(defun le::reset-frame ()
  "when a bigger second monitor is disconnected, this is requireda
to bring back the window controls into
view."
  (interactive)
  (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 146 41)
  (set-frame-position (selected-frame) 0 0))

I'm not familiar with this error message, the I last built the ns build a
few months ago without problems. I've since moved on to the Mac build,
which is better in EVERY way for me, so maybe you can try that?  It's a
little bit more involved of a build process, but the end result has a much
more "Mac" feel than the ns build.  The ns build also crashed with
"anything" completion usage for me several times a day, which has never
happened with the Mac build.

see: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-03/msg00224.html

--
Le

* Re: Emacs on OS X error
       [not found] <mailman.763.1333931083.20052.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-04-09 19:23 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2012-04-09 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

why don't you just use a precompiled version from <http://emacsformacosx.com/>?

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Emacs on OS X error
@ 2012-04-09 21:22       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-04-09 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Le Wang; +Cc: Gaston Fiore, help-gnu-emacs

Am 9.4.2012 um 17:55 schrieb Le Wang:

> see: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-03/msg00224.html

This might even be better:

https://github.com/dabrahams/Portfiles/commit/c2e86d3e82381ca6d0ddbe04668fb902cf42eec8

It's a Portfile to automatically build a version of this "AppKit Emacs". This variant is really the best for Mac OS X – because it uses the most from Mac OS X instead of ported Open Source software that just happens to run on Mac OS X. This Emacs is integrated into Mac OS X – see for example C-h H.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Competition is the great erode of profits.