On 4/3/23 18:11, Juri Linkov wrote: >> I have now in my .emacs: >> >> (custom-set-variables >>   '(tab-line-exclude-modes nil) >> >> but this haven't changed the behavior. The tab-line is still disappearing >> when viewing *xxx* buffers. >> >> What am I still missing? > Probably this is because you enabled buffer-local 'tab-line-mode' > instead of 'global-tab-line-mode'. OK, I have put (setq global-tab-line-mode t) into my initialization file. But this didn't help either. Do I understand it right that the tab-line-mode is NOT as I am expecting and maybe erroneously assuming a property/switch of a window, but a property/switch of a single buffer viewed in the window??? Or is it just only a symbol value which might, but not must be respected while running rendering of the graphics of the area between the toolbar and the minibuffer? And if in the buffer the local tab-line-mode is for some weird reason switched-off the window showing that buffer does not show the tab-line??? Coupled with not taking seriously the state of the switch shown in the Options -> Show/Hide -> Window Tab Line (it's just a switch showing some not valid switch state, like a label on a tab-bar just showing some non-existing buffer name as label is also considered OK and not a bug), this above will explain all the weird behavior I experience. What I am wondering about is, how does it come that I am bumping in all these problems? Because I am trying to understand how it works and testing all the possible edge cases? Making around 150 windows shown in a "root window" sometimes called "frame" sometimes "window configuration" and experiencing then weird behavior on reload from the .desktop file, where most of the tab-lines are lost and the window sizes are not as before exiting and saving the .desktop file? Without being able to discover any clear rule or some reproducible pattern in what I can observe? It seems to be not possible to create a perfectly adjusted pattern of 100 and more windows and then store it to a .desktop file being sure they will be recreated on next start as seen on the screen. OK - somehow is it maybe misusing of an text editor for creating patterns of rectangles, but if the underlying programming would work the right way it should be possible to use it also for the unique experience of typing at 100 and more places on the screen at the same time. Attached a desktop file with many, many windows which were originally perfectly distributed giving a nice regular pattern. The work of positioning the windows was not worth the effort - the restored pattern is all, but not as created.